Ripping Blu-Ray ISO to NAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

NASbeginner

Dabbler
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to figure out the logistics of backing up my movies to a FreeNAS NAS. Once everything is up and running, do I connect my computer with blu-ray RW drive to my NAS via my home network through my router and then rip and save the ripped file (ISO, mkv, etc) directly to the NAS?

Any tips or recommendations would be much appreciated. I will most likely be using my iMac to handle this once I purchase a blu-ray drive.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
You will most likely use your Mac to rip the discs and save them to your nas using cifs.

joeschmuck

Old Man
My first choice you be to rip it to your computer, second choice is to rip it to a USB connected external hard drive, and then move it to your FreeNAS. And last choice is to rip it to your FreeNAS directly but it may be very slow.

NASbeginner

Dabbler
Hi joeschmuck - with option 1, do I rip it to computer and then just drag it to the NAS via my home network share?

Fuganater

Patron
Hi joeschmuck - with option 1, do I rip it to computer and then just drag it to the NAS via my home network share?
Yep. This is what I do.

joeschmuck

Old Man
I find it much easier too if I need to make any alterations to the video file to do it while it resides on the computer.

You know, buying movies has gotten really cheap these days, under $20 typically. I recall the days where a new movie release on VHS tape would cost a person over $60 in the local video store (never knew what the markup was on that). Nope, never what I would do, renting a movie one time was good enough.

Fuganater

Patron
I find it much easier too if I need to make any alterations to the video file to do it while it resides on the computer.

You know, buying movies has gotten really cheap these days, under $20 typically. I recall the days where a new movie release on VHS tape would cost a person over $60 in the local video store (never knew what the markup was on that). Nope, never what I would do, renting a movie one time was good enough.
$20???? I only buy Blu-ray movies when they are under $8 on Amazon.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Nope, never what I would do, renting a movie one time was good enough.
When I sit down to watch something that's all I do is watch movies, I never watch TV. If I like one I can watch it over and over again. I've got some movies I bet I've seen 50 times or more.

Arwen

MVP
I trans-code all my DVDs to MP4, h264 which takes about 1/4 the amount of space, same quality.
Similar process with Blu-ray, though not as much space savings. Right now I am using about 1.1TB
of storage for videos, (about 2,200 individual MP4 files).

The scripts I use will extract the titles I want from the discs, and optionally copy them to my media
server using SCP without encryption. Thus, I only need enough local space for at most, one disc's
worth of videos, (already trans-coded). (Or 2 discs worth if I use a second CD/DVD/Blu-ray drive.)

Overall, kind of nice method, but it's all Linux command line. No GUI at all.

joeschmuck

Old Man
$20???? I only buy Blu-ray movies when they are under $8 on Amazon.
I did say under $20, but then again it's been a while since I have purchased one at full price, I normally find them on sale too. Anything new I typically rent if I hadn't already seen it in the theater (I do tend to go to the theater more these days) unless I know it's something I need to own like The Incredibles, love that movie.

joeschmuck

Old Man
That says a lot about you. ;-) ;-)
It sure does, but I do not own a jacket with the insignia like someone I work with, I'm not THAT into it.

mattbbpl

Patron
I did say under $20, but then again it's been a while since I have purchased one at full price, I normally find them on sale too. Anything new I typically rent if I hadn't already seen it in the theater (I do tend to go to the theater more these days) unless I know it's something I need to own like The Incredibles, love that movie.
No judgment here. That movie's brilliant.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad

jgreco

Resident Grinch
It sure does, but I do not own a jacket with the insignia like someone I work with, I'm not THAT into it.

As long as you're not visiting Edna Mode for your very own superhero costume, I'm sure we'll still let you hang around here.

solarisguy

Guru
I trans-code all my DVDs to MP4, h264 which takes about 1/4 the amount of space, same quality.
Similar process with Blu-ray, though not as much space savings. Right now I am using about 1.1TB
of storage for videos, (about 2,200 individual MP4 files).

The scripts I use will extract the titles I want from the discs, and optionally copy them to my media
server using SCP without encryption. Thus, I only need enough local space for at most, one disc's
worth of videos, (already trans-coded). (Or 2 discs worth if I use a second CD/DVD/Blu-ray drive.)

Overall, kind of nice method, but it's all Linux command line. No GUI at all.
I am not transcoding.

Two reasons: quality loss and more time needs to be spent than with just ripping. I am not even ripping everything, as it is time consuming. I am fine with having only placeholders (posters or jackets) and rip when required.

If you think that quality loss is minimal, just wait until you acquire a large 4K display. You will be re-ripping to get every bit of quality possible. (Think what kind of TV or computer monitor you or your family had 12-15 years ago.)

joeschmuck

Old Man
As long as you're not visiting Edna Mode for your very own superhero costume, I'm sure we'll still let you hang around here.
Nope, my birthday suit is all the costume I need, it will turn anyone blind with my highly reflective white body.

joeschmuck

Old Man
I am not transcoding.
I'm the same way, I rip my videos into a native format my TV can handle and let the TV do all the work, and when choosing one of those formats, I pick the one where I can get the best data quality. Currently I'm using mp4 files with AC3 audio and these work well. Of course when I use Plex through my Roku 3 I also have no problems either with that format, all nice and smooth.

Status
Not open for further replies.