RHEL6 64-Bit guest Byhve on FreeNAS-11.0-U1

Status
Not open for further replies.

british

Dabbler
Hi all,

Today needed to spin up a RHEL6.9 64 bit on my FreeNAS-11.0-U1. Installed fine, but after removing the virtual CD from the VM via the web interface, I get "boot failed efi hard drive" on the screen.

I read an article about copying the EFI binary to another location as detailed in this post

https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/how-to-how-to-boot-linux-vms-using-uefi.54039/

I tired copying the grub binary as described, However while it did bring GRUB, it didn't have the config nor Kernel selection etc.

I also spoke with someone in #byhve but he thinks this is localised to FreeNAS.

I would have guessed others will have encountered this issue, maybe with say CentOS 6.9?

Anyone know a good fix please?

Best wishes

british

Dabbler
Just solved this, works fine so far.

Right, when it fails to boot after a period it will go to the Byhve UEFI console. Simply type "exit". You'll then be presented with an ncurses interface. Here you need to create a new boot entry, and choose the file located in the redhat directory. After this, change the boot order of the devices, and place your new entry (I called mine RedHat) at the top of the list.

After this, it works. Hopefully this will help some people.

british

Dabbler
Half a fixed LOL. When you get placed in the interactive shell type exit. Then choose "Boot Maintenance Manager" -> "Boot From File" -> Choose "No Volume Label" -> "EFI" -> "redhat" -> "grub.efi"

Now you can also add a boot entry if you wish, and change the boot order. I save the config but it seems to get wiped upon reboot or shutdown. Shame, thought I'd nailed it :-/

Status
Not open for further replies.