Restart FreeNas not possible after new update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freesnofla

Patron
Hi folks, was just running the auto update on FreeNas 9.3 and now I can't restart FreeNas.
Calling the IP, the system show the following error:

An error occurred.
Sorry, the page you are looking for is currently unavailable.
Please try again later.

If you are the system administrator of this resource then you should check the error log for details.

Faithfully yours, nginx.

Syntax: error_log file | stderr | syslog:server=address[,parameter=value] [debug | info | notice | warn | error | crit | alert | emerg];
Default:
error_log logs/error.log error;
Context: main, http, server, location
Configures logging. Several logs can be specified on the same level (1.5.2).

The first parameter defines a file that will store the log. The special value stderr selects the standard error file. Logging to syslog can be configured by specifying the “syslog:” prefix.

The second parameter determines the level of logging. Log levels above are listed in the order of increasing severity. Setting a certain log level will cause all messages of the specified and more severe log levels to be logged. For example, the default level error will cause error, crit, alert, and emerg messages to be logged. If this parameter is omitted then error is used.

For debug logging to work, nginx needs to be built with --with-debug, see “A debugging log”.

Syntax: env variable[=value];
Default:
env TZ;
Context: main
By default, nginx removes all environment variables inherited from its parent process except the TZ variable. This directive allows preserving some of the inherited variables, changing their values, or creating new environment variables. These variables are then:

• inherited during a live upgrade of an executable file;
  • used by the ngx_http_perl_module module;
  • used by worker processes. One should bear in mind that controlling system libraries in this way is not always possible as it is common for libraries to check variables only during initialization, well before they can be set using this directive. An exception from this is an above mentioned live upgrade of an executable file.

The TZ variable is always inherited and available to the ngx_http_perl_module module, unless it is configured explicitly.

Usage example:

env MALLOC_OPTIONS;
env PERL5LIB=/data/site/modules;
env OPENSSL_ALLOW_PROXY_CERTS=1;

The NGINX environment variable is used internally by nginx and should not be set directly by the user.

Syntax: events { ... }
Default: —
Context: main
Provides the configuration file context in which the directives that affect connection processing are specified.​

Just did a reboot once more and I see the following message: No configured interfaces were found. Try to do it manually.

The mainboard I use is GA870AUD3

I have no clue how I get that solved.

br freesnofla

Last edited:

Freesnofla

Patron
Is there a known bug in the last update in FreeNas? Just to underline the update was done in FreeNas 9.3 with the new update function.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Not known to me, but this is part of the reason for the ZFS boot filesystem and boot environments, so you can trivially roll back upgrades if they're causing problems. Your AMD chip and Realtek LAN aren't recommended hardware and may be causing or contributing to the problem, but if it worked before the update, try booting from the previous boot environment. If it works again, you can put in a bug against the latest update.

Freesnofla

Patron
Thanks a lot for helping me out using an earlier boot, but I still have the problem with an alert:

CRITICAL: The boot volume state is ONLINE: One or more devices has experienced an error resulting in data corruption. Applications may be affected.

What I'm wonder about is the case that when I look into storage the status is healthy. Where do I have the possibility to find more informations what really went wrong?

danb35

Hall of Famer

Freesnofla

Patron
"Read the @!%$^@%$ manual" I already did but wasn't sure where the error comes from as I have the following Boot status where I can't se that I have a status I can use for something helping me to find what's wrong.
Auswahl_003.png

Edit by Joe Schmuck: Language please. I removed the word in question.

Last edited by a moderator:

joeschmuck

Old Man
I would recommend the following actions to take.

1) Reinstall FreeNAS 9.3 (current build) to your system and then restore your configuration file (assuming you made a backup of the config file).
or
2) Verify the installation (GUI -> System -> Update -> Verify Install)
3) And do a Scrub on the boot device (GUI -> System -> Boot -> Scrub)

I personally would do the first one. Report back if that fixed it.

Freesnofla

Patron
@joeschmuck, yes I did a configuration file backup when I was upgrading from 9.2.9 to 9.3. I guess that file would be fine enough or will that give problems as the config-file is from 9.2.9?

I'm running FreeNas on a USB drive 32GB. Should I just delete the drive and then install new, that what you mean by re-installation?

As I understood is my actual hardware not that good to support FreeNas; I will therefore change to the recommended hardware from @cyberjock.

If I do the re-install how does the system recognize the dataset afterwards?

Just to be sure that I not forget something where I harm my dataset.

joeschmuck

Old Man
The 9.2.1.9 configuration file is fine to use and your system will likely reboot twice once you restore it.

I'm not sure about what your configuration is, post it and we can see what isn't agreeable, but if your system was working fine with 9.2.1.9, then I suspect based only on your information in this thread that your USB Flash drive could be the issue or if you had cycled the power to your FreeNAS system (maybe no UPS installed) which caused the possible corruption. If you run into this again, replace the Flash drive would be my advice.

Before you do anything, and this goes for anytime you make a change to your system, backup your configuration file. It's just good practice.

I don't know if you have a CD drive in your system or how you loaded your flash drive in the first place but I have a CD drive so I would just grab the current release of FreNAS 9.3 and load that. You will be given the option to upgrade or install as new, do the New. Once done and your computer reboots a few times, using the console you would get the IP address, jump into the GUI and then upload your old configuration file. As I said before, a few reboots later and you should be good to go.

If you have any further questions for me, post them in the next 20 minutes as I'm taking apart my main computer to blow the dust out and do routine maintenance as needed (replace a noisy fan). I do this twice a year and it's time.

pschatz100

Guru
I would recommend the following actions to take.

1) Reinstall FreeNAS 9.3 (current build) to your system and then restore your configuration file (assuming you made a backup of the config file).
or
2) Verify the installation (GUI -> System -> Update -> Verify Install)
3) And do a Scrub on the boot device (GUI -> System -> Boot -> Scrub)

I personally would do the first one. Report back if that fixed it.
@Freesnofla
I would follow joeschmuck's suggestion #1, except that I would also use a new flash drive. Flash drives are known to have problems, and when they do it is mostly after writing new data - such as a FreeNAS update. Restoring your saved configuration will be fine. Also, make certain you have it plugged into a USB2 port.

Last edited:

Freesnofla

Patron
The funny point is that after I changed from FreeNas 9.2.9 by upgrade, the system worked fine without any problems. But the update I did the 2014/12/30 somehow made trouble. Anyway I will change the hardware as well mainboard; cpu and Memory.

pschatz100

Guru
You can try rolling back the update. It's one of the new features of 9.3.

Freesnofla

Patron
But where can I do the roll back? I was checking the manual under Update and can't find any solution for it.

Glorious1

Guru
But where can I do the roll back? I was checking the manual under Update and can't find any solution for it.
As danb35 said in the first response to your question, you can do it during the booting process when you get to the GRUB menu. You have to follow the booting process with IPMI or monitor/keyboard directly attached.

danb35

Hall of Famer
...and once the system has booted, go to System -> Boot -> Select the boot environment you want, then click the Activate button at the bottom. That should make the selected environment the default until you install a new update.

Freesnofla

Patron
Hi all, can I download the image to my Laptop and then install the image into the USB Drive on that Laptop? Afterwards I will switch that one to the NAS, or is that a bad idea? What about my owncloud and crashplan installation that one needs to be done from the scratch?

Status
Not open for further replies.