ResourceSpace installation on FreeNAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

yacenty

Explorer
Hello,
I'm new here so welcome everybody.

This is my first topic here, after spending few days of reading.

I'm interested in set up of FreeNas with some software for managing pictures. Today, my database is about 3TB of pictures and every year grow about 0.5-0.8TB of new one.
Today I'm using QNAP with PhotoStation aplication. I need better application and bigger storage so I'm looking for new oportunities.
ResourceSpace (https://www.resourcespace.com/features) seems to meet all my expectations, I had tested in on virtualbox and seems fine.

How to install it on the FreeNAS? I do not see any plugin, but I had realised that some application (php and mysql) are installed on top of the freenas.
Is it possible at all?
How can I start with this subject?

Thanks in advance
BR
yacenty

kdragon75

Wizard
It look like they do not support FreeBSD but it may still be possible in a jail. They have documentation in their Knowledge Base. See the Install section. Again they do not have instructions for installing on FreeBSD and you may need to compile and install some packages from source.

yacenty

Explorer
anyway it is a regullar php/mysql app. So in my opinion if php and mysql is set up correctly it should work.
I'm collecting hardware for freenas and will make a try.
Regards
yacenty

danb35

Hall of Famer
It would need to run in a jail, not on the base FreeNAS install, but (from a quick look at their knowledge base) it ought to work. Install your favorite web server (Apache/nginx/caddy), a suitable version of PHP (with appropriate modules), and MySQL/MariaDB, and you should be able to make it work.

Make sure to use an iocage jail--either create the jail using the new GUI, or use iocage from the command line.

kdragon75

Wizard
I strongly recommend setting up a VM from freenas and doing some basic testing before you spend a ton of cash on something that may not work as expected.

Alos just looking at the Ubuntu install instructions, its not JUST MySQL and PHP. You also need apache2, imagemagick, ghostscript, antiword, xpdf, libav-tools, postfix, libimage-exiftool-perl, cron, and wget along with any of the dependencies for those packages.

EDIT: Yes I know some of those packages are available/already installed in the default jails but that's just the list from the website.

yacenty

Explorer
good hint,
I will try on virtualbox

kdragon75

Wizard
The nice thing is that if you get it running just the way you want on VB, you can use ZFS send to send the jail dataset to the final box. Though I'm not sure about how you would import the IOcage jail into the new system. I have hear that warden jails just get picked up as long as the jail dataset is pointed to the correct location.

Status
Not open for further replies.