Resilvering using a dual external dock usb 3.0 dock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am currently in the process of upgrading my pool by replacing each individual disk. The best way to do is to leave the current disks rather then replace them. Well.... I am using an itx build with no exta spots. I hooked up my dual generic usb 3 dock and put two drives in to resilver two at a time. Freenas gave me the red light saying I had a multipath and it wasn't happy about it. I went to the disks anyway, and it seemed to notice 2 drives. My zfs resilvering knowledge is not great. I have back ups of the important stuff, and all that jazz. I am currently resilvering the first 2 of 5. My questions are: Has anyone resilvered using an external usb 3.0 drive before? If so 2 at a time? Lastly is re silvering over this multi path situation going to cause some sort of horrible mess?

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
I am currently in the process of upgrading my pool by replacing each individual disk. The best way to do is to leave the current disks rather then replace them. Well.... I am using an itx build with no exta spots. I hooked up my dual generic usb 3 dock and put two drives in to resilver two at a time. Freenas gave me the red light saying I had a multipath and it wasn't happy about it. I went to the disks anyway, and it seemed to notice 2 drives. My zfs resilvering knowledge is not great. I have back ups of the important stuff, and all that jazz. I am currently resilvering the first 2 of 5. My questions are: Has anyone resilvered using an external usb 3.0 drive before? If so 2 at a time? Lastly is re silvering over this multi path situation going to cause some sort of horrible mess?
This is a bad idea, on multiple levels...

For one... USB drive interfaces are notoriously flaky.

For another, you're using USB drives to replace not just one, but two! disks simultaneously.

I hope your pool is RAIDZ2 or RAIDZ3. If both drives drop out resilvering a RAIDZ1 array, your data is at serious risk!

But it might work just fine... let us know, will you? As a data point for future reference.

Good luck!

Ya no I figured it was not a great idea based on the blinking red light, but I was going to go for it any way. I was curious if anyone else had. its actually zfs1 :D:eek:, but it is completely backed up to another Freenas server with z2. My initial plan was to just start with a fresh array, so if all else fails I will lose 12 hours according to status -v.

If it's a RaidZ1 pool and you are going with drives that are larger than 3TB your best plan of action would be to create a new RaidZ2 pool and then move your data over to the new pool.

So I made it through the resilver no problem. Put the drives back in and I would say a half success? One drive shows normal the other however shows as a multipath still and does not present the drive info. At this point I think I am going to wipe the drives and go to 6 disks in a Z2 pool. The space efficiency is greater in z2 with 6 disks right ?

Status
Not open for further replies.