Repurpose Memory and Processors

Status
Not open for further replies.

NAS-Plus

Explorer
I just found out that I have access to some memory and a some processors that could be used in two needed FreeNAS servers. I have read quite a few helpful posts and very beneficial documents concerning FreeNAS configurations. In spite of this it is still somewhat hard for me to identify the components that are appropriate and compatible to get this done both correctly and cost effectively.

The goal is to create two FreeNAS servers, one will be to store backup files via a CIFS share, the other to provide iSCSI and CIFS shares.

Would like to be able to reuse:
1. Memory - 8GB sticks Samsung 2Rx4 PC3l - 10600R - 09 - 10 - E1 - P1 DDR3 Registered RAM (they were included with HP Blade server, BL490c G7). Would like each server to be able to hold about 16 sticks of 8 GB memory (128 GB).
2. Processors - Intel Xeon 6 core 2.66GHz/1333/12M, HP # 594884-001, would like the option to use either 1 or 2 processors per server.

Rack Mount Chassis: Needs to be able to ultimately hold 12, 3.5", up to 10 GB drives. Redundant power supplies preferred. Prefer used equipment from Supermicro or Dell. Need to try to keep the cost reasonable.

Advise requested:
1. Is this feasible?
2. What chassis, motherboard, and HBA would you recommend?

danb35

Hall of Famer
Should be feasible, broadly speaking, but the requirement for 16 DIMM sockets is going to narrow it down a bit. For a chassis, you can look at the SuperMicro SC826 series, which is a 2U, 12-bay design.

You might find it more economical, though, and almost certainly easier, to just but a used server. This eBay listing looks pretty close to ideal, and you may well be able to use your existing CPUs in it. It uses the SuperMicro X8DTN+ motherboard, and I'm not sure which CPU socket it uses (or which CPU socket you need), but it has 18 DIMM sockets, and should work fine with your 8 GB Registered DIMMs. It also comes with an LSI 9211 HBA, which is very well-supported under FreeNAS--though you may need to flash its firmware to the appropriate version.

NAS-Plus

Explorer
Thanks! The server you listed looks good. I was hoping that if I supply the processor and RAM that I could buy either a bare bones server or one with insufficient processor/RAM to save some money.

I think that the processors are X5650 and I think that they use SOCKET-LGA(1366).

Understand, I have heard others mention flashing the HBA.

NAS-Plus

Explorer
The motherboard would not have to have 18 memory slots. I assumed the more the better though since I'm limited to 8 GB sticks of RAM.

danb35

Hall of Famer
And having looked more closely at the SuperMicro product page for the motherboard, yes, it's LGA-1366 sockets, so yes, your X5650s should work just fine.

Another possibility, I believe, would be a Dell C2100, which last I looked can be had for under $400. Any of the Socket 1366 gear is going to be a couple of generations old, so won't be as energy-efficient as newer kit, but should still be fine. My VM hosts (running Proxmox) use pairs of X5650s.

digity

Contributor
Just a heads up... I also had some DDR3 + LGA1366 (XEON X5500/5600 series CPU) tech laying around and decided to build some VM host (ESXi) and FreeNAS servers with them. I'm regretting it... VMware will possibly no longer support the CPU series next major release (not sure if other VM server software will follow), VT-d/Directpath I/O is buggy and crashes VM host, can't run containers & no remote/VNC/graphical/console access when running VMs in FreeNAS Corral (this may also be the case in FreeNAS 11/9.10.3) due to mobos (at least the Supermicro X8 series) lack of UEFI and some other disappointments I'm forgetting at the moment. I gave up on the LGA1366 series and looking into salvaging the project by buying some used LGA2011 (not LGA2011-3) CPUs & mobos and using the DDR3 memory. Which is another dilemma because the LGA2011-3 mobos are around the same price (as LGA2011) and at that point might as well just pay a little more for a more future proof build (LGA2011-3 and DDR4).

I guess the LGA1366 series might still be okay if all you need is the core NAS functions and still want to use jails for the foreseeable future.

Status
Not open for further replies.