Input for new hardware setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarald

Cadet
Hi,

Recently scraped together a quick build with some old hardware, and i absolutely loved it!
So I'm moving the server to proper hardware. It's will be running Plex server with jails for sonarr, radarr, jackett and resilio sync.
It will also store other media and serve as a NAS.

I'm using Fractal Design R5 for this build which has 8 x 3.5" bays.
Installing an adaptor to the 2 x 5.25" bays will give me a total of 11 x 3.5".
Another expansion would be to add a 3 x 3.5" bay at the bottom. That would bring the maximum of drives to 14 x 3.5".

I would like to optimize the available storage available, but add in the option to run backup jobs to a separate pool. If that is something I should even consider?
How many 8TB disks should I get and how should i configure them? The options I've considered is:
  • 1 x 10 disk RaidZ2
  • 2 x 6 disks RaidZ2
  • 1 x 8 disks
For OS drive I'm currently using one SSD, is it possible to move jails to this disk and mirror it to another SSD for backup?
Other option would be thumb drivesm but considering that I have the sata ports available mirrored SSD's seems like a better solution.

I will also acquire the following hardware:
  • Supermicro X9DRL
  • 4 or 8 x 16GB DDR3 ECC Registered RAM (example
  • Pair of E5-2660 v2 or E5-2680 v2.
  • Dell H200 HBA crossflashed to IT mode
Reusable/current HW:
  • 1000 W PSU
  • 5 x 2TB WD greens :confused::D:D:D
  • 1 x 128GB OCZ SSD

Memory and CPU's aren't decided yet as I might be able to get memory and xeon processors from work.
I want to keep everything in a tower case. And would prefer sticking to a ATX board.

Do you have any input for storage pool and/or adding a backup pool.
Any input for hardware?

Thank you for any feedback and insights :)

Inxsible

Guru
I would like to optimize the available storage available, but add in the option to run backup jobs to a separate pool. If that is something I should even consider?
How many 8TB disks should I get and how should i configure them? The options I've considered is:
  • 1 x 10 disk RaidZ2
  • 2 x 6 disks RaidZ2
  • 1 x 8 disks
If you want a backup pool on the same machine, then 1x10disk RAIDZ2 is out. Plus I think that is too wide anyway. Try not to go beyond 8 drives per vdev. I would say if you are going to put all the mods in at the beginning, then go with 2 RAIDZ2 pools of 7 drives each. 1st will be your main pool and the 2nd will be your backup pool. You should get the capacity of 5 drives in each pool. Having said that, having a backup in the same machine is fine as long as you have another backup somewhere else (possibly offsite) in the off-chance that the machine burns down to the ground.

In general, your use case doesn't require dual processors. But if you are getting the board and the CPUs from work for free, then that's fine.

Tarald

Cadet
Hi,

It's not important to keep all data backed two pools, but is it beneficial to store daily/weekly snapshots?
important media (personal pictures / videos) will be backed up off-site. The rest of the library can always be rebuilt.

Do you have any input for storing jails and OS on mirrored SSD's ?

Linkman

Patron
FreeNAS takes over the boot drive, you shouldn't dual-purpose it.

Inxsible

Guru
Do you have any input for storing jails and OS on mirrored SSD's ?
I wouldn't mirror SSDs. SSDs are reliable enough to last you a long time without having to have an unnecessary mirror. Use the spare SSD for below.
FreeNAS takes over the boot drive, you shouldn't dual-purpose it.
@Linkman is correct. However you can add another SSD to host your jails/plugins.

Status
Not open for further replies.