Let's get started on my first FreeNAS build (assembling in progress)

mpeck

Dabbler
Hello,

After several weeks of reading about FeeNAS, exploring the forum and watching videos from Lawrence System's Youtube channel, I decided to go for my first build. :)

The main use will be a file server (Synthing, rsync, smb,...) and will also store CloneZilla images from several PC. I currently have a Synology DS414 that I plan to recycle into a backup server for FreeNAS (via rsync) while waiting to build a second FreeNAS server! :p

For now, the future server will be installed in the living room so it must be silent (important.

Here is the hardware that I think to use...

- Mobo : SuperMicro X11SCH-F
- CPU : Intel Core i3-9100F
- CPU cooler : Noctua NH-U12S
- RAM : 32GB DDR4-2666 ECC UDIMM Samsung or Micron x 1
- OS : SATA DOM 32 Go x 2 Intel SSD 320 40 Go x 2 Kingston A400 120GB M.2 x 2
- HDD : WD RED 4 TB WD40EFRX (CMR) x 8
- PSU : Seasonic Focus PX 550W
- Case : Fractal design R5
- Fan : Noctua NF-A14 PWM
- HBA : LSI 2308 SAS 9207-8i with cables SFF-8087/SATA
(- 5.25" bay conversion : Icy Box FatCage MB153SP-B (3 x 3.5") or ToughArmor MB608SP-B (6 x 2.5") or ToughArmor MB996SP-6SB (6 x 2.5"))

... and a few points for reflection/questioning:

For the CPU, I am a little hesitant with the version without the "F" that incorporates a graphics controller. Having never used Plex, I plan to test it with FreeNAS to see if it can suit me. I had used Kodi a few years ago.
The videos will only be streamed locally and on a single device so I don't think I will need to transcode the videos (requires TrueNAS CORE 12 and an iGPU for the selected motherboard).

For the RAM, I thought at first I would use 2 x 16 GB but 1 x 32 GB seems more appropriate for a future upgrade.

For the OS, the motherboard has two M.2 slots which could allow a mirrored configuration with two SSDs but I am thinking that it might be oversized as an operating mode? Installing FreeNAS and restoring configurations seems fast from what I have seen. The advantage is if there is a problem with one SDD and I am away from home, the server is always available for family members.

The case contains two 5.25" bays which I will probably convert to several 3.5" hot swap bays. I plan to use it to create an experiment pool without touching the main pool (ISCSI for an XCP-NG server, encryption, removable backup, ...).
I will add a second fan on the front panel so that all the hard drives are properly ventilated.

The case contains 8 bays of 3.5". I plan to take 6 x 4 TB in RAIDZ2 but I hesitate to take 8 HDD, would imply adding an HBA controller for the conversion of the two 5.25" bays (8 SATA ports for the mobo).

That is where I am now in my thinking.
Feel free to comment or make suggestions regarding my choices. We always learn from the experiences of others.

Thank you for reading me! :)

Edit 17may2020 : Updating the hardware list for OS and adding HBA.
Edit 18may2020 : Adding 5.25" bay conversion.
Edit 04june2020 : Thread title (reflection -> order), updated shopping list
Edit 18july2020 : Thread title (order -> assembling), updated shopping list

Last edited:
For the OS, the motherboard has two M.2 slots which could allow a mirrored configuration with two SSDs but I am thinking that it might be oversized as an operating mode? Installing FreeNAS and restoring configurations seems fast from what I have seen. The advantage is if there is a problem with one SDD and I am away from home, the server is always available for family members.
You certainly CAN boot from these M.2 cards, but it is a bit of a waste of the speed of those cards. The boot media does not need to be particularly fast, or even very large. Lots of folks boot from SATA SSDs. SLOG and L2ARC devices benefit from the speed of an M.2 slot. If you don't think you'll ever need those features, no problems. If you think you might, you could consider booting off of 2.5" SATA SSDs and either save the M.2 slot for the SLOG or L2ARC device or opt for a board which uses those lanes for PCIe slots which are generally much more flexible in terms of what you can use them for. It won't hurt your system to boot from the M.2 though; I just generally find it less flexible.

The board you've picked, and many other similar boards, have SATA ports which are able to power a small SATA DOM device; these can be used to boot without taking up any SSD or HDD slots; only SATA slots. And for very little money you can add an HBA with cables to dramatically increase the number of SATA drives you can use anyway so the loss of the two SATA ports shouldn't be too huge a deal.

For the RAM, I thought at first I would use 2 x 16 GB but 1 x 32 GB seems more appropriate for a future upgrade.
Definitely a good move. Going with the largest sticks your board takes makes upgrading easier.

The case contains two 5.25" bays which I will probably convert to several 3.5" hot swap bays. I plan to use it to create an experiment pool without touching the main pool (ISCSI for an XCP-NG server, encryption, removable backup, ...).
I will add a second fan on the front panel so that all the hard drives are properly ventilated.
That is a great idea. I did a lot of early experimentation before I even put any data on my NAS just to make sure I knew what to do if things went south. Do be sure if you're using 11.3 that you use U2.1 or higher; earlier versions of 11.3 have a but which can take out a pool, even when experimenting with a separate test-only pool. Check the release notes on 11.3-U2.1 for more details.

I think your build looks very reasonable. My thoughts re M.2 are somewhat a personal preference; don't be surprised if other folks don't see it the same way.

mpeck

Dabbler
Hello,

Thank you PhiloEpisteme for your answer!

Indeed, it would be more judicious to leave the M.2 ports free. This leaves more flexibility for a future upgrade if the need arises.
Since the case contains two 2.5" slots behind the motherboard bracket and I can get used Intel 320 SSDs (40 GB), this configuration could be an alternative.

I like the solution with SATA DOM, in terms of cable management it is great! I will check out the price of these modules.

I will also buy an used HBA : HP H220 (SAS9205-8i).

Do be sure if you're using 11.3 that you use U2.1 or higher; earlier versions of 11.3 have a but which can take out a pool, even when experimenting with a separate test-only pool. Check the release notes on 11.3-U2.1 for more details.

Thank you for the tip. I plan to use the latest stable release available.

mpeck

Dabbler
Hello,

I checked with my reseller and I will go with the SATA DOM 32 GB for the boot. I love their form factor!

For the conversion of the two 5.25" bays (experimental pool) I thought of taking a dock allowing to accommodate 3 x 3.5" drives : Icy Dock
(Otherwise more overkill, there are docks at Icy Dock allowing 4 to 16 x 2.5 drives. o_O)

CEH1934

Dabbler
Hello,

After several weeks of reading about FeeNAS, exploring the forum and watching videos from Lawrence System's Youtube channel, I decided to go for my first build. :)

The main use will be a file server (Synthing, rsync, smb,...) and will also store CloneZilla images from several PC. I currently have a Synology DS414 that I plan to recycle into a backup server for FreeNAS (via rsync) while waiting to build a second FreeNAS server! :p

For now, the future server will be installed in the living room so it must be silent (important.

Here is the hardware that I think to use...

- Mobo : SuperMicro X11SCH-F
- CPU : Intel Core i3-9100F
- CPU cooler : Noctua NH-U12S
- RAM : 32GB DDR4-2666 ECC UDIMM Samsung or Micron x 1
- OS : SATA DOM 32 Go x 2 Intel SSD 320 40 Go x 2 Kingston A400 120GB M.2 x 2
- HDD : WD RED 4 TB WD40EFRX (CMR) x 6 or x 8
- PSU : Seasonic Focus PX 550W
- Case : Fractal design R5
- Fan : Noctua NF-A14 PWM
- HBA : HP H220 SAS 2308 / 9205-8i
- HBA cable : StarTech.com SAS8087S450 x 2
- 5.25" bay conversion : Icy Box FlexCage MB973SP-1B

... and a few points for reflection/questioning:

For the CPU, I am a little hesitant with the version without the "F" that incorporates a graphics controller. Having never used Plex, I plan to test it with FreeNAS to see if it can suit me. I had used Kodi a few years ago.
The videos will only be streamed locally and on a single device so I don't think I will need to transcode the videos (requires TrueNAS CORE 12 and an iGPU for the selected motherboard).

The case contains 8 bays of 3.5". I plan to take 6 x 4 TB in RAIDZ2 but I hesitate to take 8 HDD, would imply adding an HBA controller for the conversion of the two 5.25" bays (8 SATA ports for the mobo).

That is where I am now in my thinking.
Feel free to comment or make suggestions regarding my choices. We always learn from the experiences of others.

Thank you for reading me! :)

Edit 17may2020 : Updating the hardware list for OS and adding HBA.
Edit 18may2020 : Adding 5.25" bay conversion.
I notice you are planning to use Western Digital RED drives that are CMR. There have been posts on the 'net about WD and Seagate starting to use this technology without letting making this obvious to users. The overlapping of tracks on the disks means they are more liable to errors. When I was looking for NAS drives recently, in their drive spec documents these manufacturers show which recording method each model uses. I was looking for 4TB and WD's are CMR, so I'm going for the equivalent Seagate IronWolf which uses SMR.

CEH1934

Dabbler
I notice you are planning to use Western Digital RED drives that are CMR. There have been posts on the 'net about WD and Seagate starting to use this technology without letting making this obvious to users. The overlapping of tracks on the disks means they are more liable to errors. When I was looking for NAS drives recently, in their drive spec documents these manufacturers show which recording method each model uses. I was looking for 4TB and WD's are CMR, so I'm going for the equivalent Seagate IronWolf which uses SMR.
MY face is very red!! I completely mangled my memory of the article I read, and the truth is actually the reverse of what I said. Here is a link to the article - I forgot that the S in SMR means "shingled", like roof tiles:
Very sorry for any confusion. And of course, in the specs I read, WD was using SMR while Seagate had CMRs.

mpeck

Dabbler
Hello,

That's it! All parts ordered except for the 5.25" bay conversion because I am not decided yet.
I should receive everything by the end of the month. :)

mpeck

Dabbler
Hello,

I finally got the parts for the NAS. I am like a kid in front of the Christmas tree! :grin:
Set up in the next few days.