My First Build

Astraea

Dabbler
I decided with the news of FreeNAS becoming TrueNAS that I would finally find some hardware to start testing and learning the new TrueNAS 12. Here are the specs of what I have put together. This is just an experiment/lab machine so nothing critical will be saved on it, in fact, I am going to use it as storage for my transmission server.

Case: Carbide Series™ SPEC-01 Blue LED Mid-Tower Gaming Case
PSU: Generic PSU that came with a previous Memory Express case.
Motherboard: Asus P8H61-M LX PLUS R2.0
CPU: Intel Core i3-3220 @ 3.30GHz
Memory: 2x 8 GB Kingston DDR 3 (Non-ECC)
OS SSDs: 2x Samsung 860 EVO 250 GB
Storage HDDs: 4 x Western Digital RED 2 TB
Misc:
StarTech PEXSAT32 (2 Port SATA 6 Gbps PCI Express SATA Controller Card)​
Network:
1 x Realtek onboard NIC​
2 x Intel Gigabit CT Desktop Adapter (PCI-E)​

Right now I have the 2 SSDs in a ZFS mirror and the RED drives in a ZFS Raid-Z2, and I have set it up so the two Intel NICs are in a LAGG and I have disabled the onboard NIC in the BIOS.

Eventually, I plan to replace my existing QNAP (TS-853A & 2 x TS-451) NAS devices with Free/TrueNAS boxes but for now, this will let me learn the software so that I can better decide on new hardware when the time comes. Longer-term I plan to replace my existing production servers (3 x HP Dl380 G5 & 1 x Dell 2950 ) as well with similar hardware (minus the multiple HDDs) and eventually upgrade my network by making the jump to a fully 10GB network infrastructure.

zorak950

Dabbler
If your goal is just to play and learn for now, you can't really go wrong. So from that angle it looks fine to me.