Replacing Disk does not work in TrueNAS Core v13.0?

Koala166

Cadet
Hello, I am new to TrueNAS/ZFS with zero experience in UNIX so I decided to to some testing before I entrust my data on it. I used TrueNAS Core 13.0 Release version. The hardware I use is not relevant so I won't bother you with unnecessary details.

So for my tests I created a ZVolume with 5 drives in ZRAID 1 configuration, and added some files to it. Everything worked as expected.

Then I tried to simulate a catastrophic drive loss: I booted into Windows, and I formatted one of the 5 drives. I wanted to see how the drive replacement and resilvering procedure would work in practice.

I booted back into TrueNAS, and I saw that the system correctly warned me that one drive in the Zpool was damaged/missing. So then I tried to replace it following the instructions in the online manual.

It did not work. Clicking the 'Replace Disk' button does absolutely nothing (with either the "Force" checkbox enabled or not). No error message, no nothing. The "Replacing disk" Dialog box remains open with no feedback at all. (The 'Cancel" button works for what's worth.)

I know TrueNAS is free and I can't expect everything to work as intended, but as first impressions go this is not ideal.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-05-24 at 12.41.13 μ.μ..png
    Screen Shot 2022-05-24 at 12.41.13 μ.μ..png
    46.9 KB · Views: 192
  • Screen Shot 2022-05-24 at 12.41.26 μ.μ..png
    Screen Shot 2022-05-24 at 12.41.26 μ.μ..png
    26.9 KB · Views: 224

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity

Koala166

Cadet
Thank you very much for letting me know. I am very surprised that such a serious bug made it on a stable release channel and has not yet been patched with a hotfix. This is the equivalent of releasing a car that does not allow you to replace its tires.

Since I have zero prior experience with TrueNAS, I have to ask: is it usual to have such serious bugs on core features on the "stable" release channel?

Also, how easy is it to downgrade to version 12.0-U8.1? Do I just install it on top of version 13, or do I have to do some preparation to save the TrueNAS settings? (Not that I mind losing everything and starting from scratch since this NAS has no data on it. But I'd like to know in case of future issues where I have to downgrade and preserve all my data and settings.)

Samuel Tai

Save your settings under System->General->Download Config. After the reinstall with 12.0-U8.1, restore your settings under System->General->Upload Config. Remember to save secrets with the config to preserve passwords.

As for functionality bugs on .0 releases, this is par for the course in the entire software industry. TrueNAS isn't an especially egregious offender here. The Release Notes for 13 don't recommend using 13.0 for critical deployments until 13.0-U2 or later.

You did read the release notes, didn't you? If not, then you're guilty of installing under false assumptions, and you should learn from this experience for next time you deal with server software.

Koala166

Cadet
Thank you for all the info. This is the fist time I used any kind of NAS software, and I assumed that core features were tested and working on stable releases. Now I know better. I will downgrade and will not install new versions until I read in the forum that they are safe to use.

Again, thank you very much for your time! :smile:

danb35

Hall of Famer
TrueNAS isn't an especially egregious offender here.
iX have a bad habit of shipping "release" versions of their software with what should have been show-stopping bugs, going back (at least) to the days of 9.2. Yeah, they're a pretty egregious offender. This doesn't quite rise to the level of The Release That Must Not Be Named (in which disk replacement wasn't in the GUI at all), but this is a pretty major fail on their part. Again.

And sure, we can say "never install .0" (and lots of us do), but that's frankly stupid--it suggests that it's OK for them to ship badly-broken software as though it were release-ready, and it's the users' fault for believing them.

PPatla

Cadet
I tried the release notes CLI instructions, but I am getting an error that partitions exist on the replacement drive.

I previously completed a wipe in the GUI of the drive to be the replacement drive and it said the wipe successfully completed.

Is there a "force" extension that can be used with the replace drive script like the option that is available in the GUI version of replace?

Seems like I may have to wait for U1 to upgrade my 2x4TB drive mirror to 2x8TB drive mirror.

Thanks,
Pat

Samuel Tai

I tried the release notes CLI instructions, but I am getting an error that partitions exist on the replacement drive.

I previously completed a wipe in the GUI of the drive to be the replacement drive and it said the wipe successfully completed.

Is there a "force" extension that can be used with the replace drive script like the option that is available in the GUI version of replace?

Seems like I may have to wait for U1 to upgrade my 2x4TB drive mirror to 2x8TB drive mirror.

Thanks,
Pat
From the Shell, run gpart destroy -F <disk device> to whack the drive's partition table. For example, if your replacement disk is ada3, run gpart destroy -F ada3. If you typo the drive ID, you'll whack the partition table on the wrong drive. There is no safety net here.

PPatla

Cadet
root@freenas:~ # gpart destroy -F ada2
gpart: arg0 'ada2': Invalid argument
root@freenas:~ #

That didn't work for me. I did it both from the shell and I SSH'd into the system.

Last edited:

sretalla