SOLVED Can't replace failed disk?

Kosta

Contributor
Hello,
long story short: if I go to status, I can see "/dev/gptid/ee323142-0d57-11ec-9b04-000c29fc4700" which says OFFLINE. If I press replace with da8 selected (the new disk is apparently also da8), even with Force selected, nothing happens, the button does not react. I can only close the window.

Longer explanation:
My da8 (old Seagate) disk died. Today replacement arrived (WD Red), and honestly, I didn't read any instructions prior, but I simply pulled the disk out, put the new one in and went into Pool Status. Whatever I tried at that moment, did not work. Obviously, now that I am reading about how to do it, correctly. I was kinda used to the process from my Synology, that I just did the same.
Is there a way to replace the drive now or do I have to put the old drive back in, with hope that it even gets recognized??

Thanks

Alecmascot

Guru

Kosta

Contributor
In what way? That I have to use the CLI? Not my favorite, as I am completely new to ZFS.
Can I downgrade to 12.x?

Alecmascot

Guru

Kosta

Contributor
CLI is for me too risky. I could move the data before, but that takes till tomorrow. And I would like to replace the disk to fix the pool. It is a RAIDZ2, but I don't have to risk it really.
So how do I downgrade to 12.x? (be that .0 or .1)

Alecmascot

Guru
So how do I downgrade to 12.x? (be that .0 or .1)
Download the 12.0-U8.1 Manual Update file and do a Manual update in the GUI.

Kosta

Contributor
Fail... :(

Code:
Error: Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/job.py", line 355, in run
    await self.future
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/job.py", line 391, in __run_body
    rv = await self.method(*([self] + args))
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 975, in nf
    return await f(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/update.py", line 389, in file
    await self.middleware.call('update.install_manual_impl', job, destfile, dest_extracted)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1305, in call
    return await self._call(
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1273, in _call
    return await self.run_in_executor(prepared_call.executor, methodobj, *prepared_call.args)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1166, in run_in_executor
    return await loop.run_in_executor(pool, functools.partial(method, *args, **kwargs))
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/concurrent/futures/thread.py", line 58, in run
    result = self.fn(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/update_/install_freebsd.py", line 64, in install_manual_impl
    if self.install_impl(job, dest_extracted) is None:
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/update_/install_freebsd.py", line 37, in install_impl
    raise CallError(f'Unable to downgrade from {old_version} to {new_version}')
middlewared.service_exception.CallError: [EFAULT] Unable to downgrade from TrueNAS-13.0-RELEASE to TrueNAS-12.0-U8

Alecmascot

Guru
Then use the ISO and do a fresh install.
There may be an issue with the ZFS version of the pool such that it will not be available in 12.0 having been created in 13.0.
Plunge into cli :smile:

Kosta

Contributor
I did not upgrade the pool, so there shouldn't be an issue, no?

Alecmascot

Guru
so it was 12.0 before ?

Kosta

Contributor
I can't say for sure, wasn't really paying much attention, TrueNAS is "only" my secondary NAS which I built for testing purposes, more or less. But it has been running stable on my server. Only two days ago I installed Veeam and wanted to do backups, but upgraded TrueNAS before I backed it up. Stupid, I know. It was a quick thought like, oh look, and update... stable? - click.
I was doing automatic updates always, from the Dashboard. If it really was 12.0... hard to say. But most likely.

Alecmascot

Guru
Go to System / Boot and revert to the previous boot environment.

Kosta

Contributor
Great, thank you. Prior to 13.0, I was on 12.0-U6.1.
I am downloading 6.1 and will try the manual update with 6.1.

Would reverting to previous boot environment also revert to 6.1?

Alecmascot

Guru
No.... Use the recommended reversion method using the previous boot environment

Kosta

Contributor
Great, thank you very much! Disk is replacing, I even upgraded to 8.1 flawlessly!

Kosta

Contributor
Btw. it's incredible how fast disk replacement goes with TrueNAS (this was my first)! Synology rebuild takes very long... 1-2 days I believe.
TrueNAS...1hr? Extremely impressive.