Replacing a Mirrored disk - same brand/model showing different size (old disk was manufactured in '14, new disk '21)

benjamin604

Cadet
Hello all,

I've got a Supermico chassis with 24 drives configured as 8 3-way mirrors for speed and redundancy, to run VM OSes from.

One of the disks failed and has been removed.

I purchased a replacement and while it's the same Brand, Model and Size, it's showing as a 9.1TB drive, while the drive it's replacing shows as an 8.9TB drive (they both say 10TB on the tin).

What are my options? Can I spoof the machine using parted or something to resize the available disk space on the new disk to match the old one?

Bit stuck here, I can't go back in time to buy more of the old version!

Thanks in advance for any help given!

Ben

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
That seems rather unusual, though it's not a problem if the new disk is slightly larger (or even much larger). Unless you need to be able to replace it with one that's the smaller size.

benjamin604

Cadet
Yeah, it's a bit frustrating, here's some more info if someone could point me in a direction:

da1 is the disk I'm trying to add.

Command Error.PNG

Disk Info.PNG

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
What's your setting for the swapfile under System | Advanced | Swapfile size in GiB ?

Maybe putting that to zero could get you over the line? (although since you're doing that via CLI and addressing the gptids... there's no way that will help... maybe just a note for others stumbling across the thread but doing in the GUI).

what does your glabel status look like?

Etorix

Wizard
Any reason you're doing it in the CLI rather than the GUI?

Silly check: Were the gptids in the right order? A larger drive should be able to attach to a smaller one…

benjamin604

Cadet
What's your setting for the swapfile under System | Advanced | Swapfile size in GiB ?

Maybe putting that to zero could get you over the line? (although since you're doing that via CLI and addressing the gptids... there's no way that will help... maybe just a note for others stumbling across the thread but doing in the GUI).

what does your glabel status look like?

Hello,

thanks for the reply.

Swap is 2GiB.

Here's the glabel status

1626183682984.png

Any reason you're doing it in the CLI rather than the GUI?

Silly check: Were the gptids in the right order? A larger drive should be able to attach to a smaller one…

Yeah, I was careful to doublecheck that. So you specify the new drive last, which is what I did.

Not sure how to do it in the GUI! If that's easier...

sretalla