Replacing a failed drive with no open slots

bmf614z

Dabbler
Hi,

How exactly do I remove a drive from a pool so that I can then replace it with another drive in the same slot?

I have offlined the drive but there doesn't appear to be any way to blink the drive in the UI or remove the drive from the pool in the UI.

It's a Dell R740XD so it should be really easy for truenas to blink the correct drive.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Try sesutil fault daX on - the R740XD backplane should speak SES and light up the fault LED on the bay.

sesutil locate daX on might also work if it the R740XD indicates fault by blinking/patterning the "locator" vs "fault" LED.

bmf614z

Dabbler
Try sesutil fault daX on - the R740XD backplane should speak SES and light up the fault LED on the bay.

sesutil locate daX on might also work if it the R740XD indicates fault by blinking/patterning the "locator" vs "fault" LED.

Ok so I offlined the drive, I should do that to identify it and then replace it and TrueNAS will automatically add the new drive back into the pool or what will I need to do? I probably should have just put 11 drives in the pool and kept a spare since the 'replace with a spare' process is much more clearly documented than the 'replace failed drive' process.

Would be cool if the UI had a remove/blink drive option or if when a pool is degraded and you click on it, it has more info about what exactly it needs you to do. Even better if when you click 'replace' on a disk if it had the option of 'with a new drive in the same slot' and then if you select that option it 'tries to blink the drive, removes the bad one from the pool, and then sets it up to receieve the new drive'.