Replacing a failed drive that's part of a RaidZ dataset when drive is completely dead- FreeNAS 9.1.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

foo

Cadet
I'm running FreeNAS 9.1.0 on an HP n40l with 3x 3TB HDs. I have a RaidZ volume that uses all 3 drives. One of the drives has completely died in that it won't even detect in BIOS anymore. The RaidZ array is doing it's job and I can still access all my data. I have a replacement 3TB drive (same model etc as the others) to replace the failed drive.

The problem I have is that when I go to the web GUI and go Storage > Volumes > View Disks, the failed HD is not listed, so I can't click on it and go "Replace" with my new 3TB drive.

From what I understand from reading the manual and forums, I need to Offline the failed drive with the zpool command, which I have done and then somehow online the new drive to replace the failed one. It's this last part I don't know how to do.

When I go zpool status, I can see my two good HDs as DEGRADED and the failed now as OFFLINE.

How do I bring the new replacement drive online to replace the OFFLINE failed drive?

Last edited:

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Well since you have started doing thing from the CLI you might have broken something. But if you would have offlined the drive via the web interface the next step would be to install the new drive and then click the replace button and select the new disk.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Does the new drive show up in the web gui when you select replace? If so it should replace the offlined drive.

If not follow the instructions for replacing through the CLI https://support.ixsystems.com/index...lace-a-disk-in-a-zpool-using-the-command-line

That link shouldn't be used over the WebGUI. I can get dollars to donuts that the OP is just not understanding the instructions in the manual.

The CLI stuff in the knowledge base is for expert/advanced users that can get themselves out of almost any pinch. It is *not* for general public consumption.

Mlovelace

Guru
That link shouldn't be used over the WebGUI. I can get dollars to donuts that the OP is just not understanding the instructions in the manual.

The CLI stuff in the knowledge base is for expert/advanced users that can get themselves out of almost any pinch. It is *not* for general public consumption.

Okay, sorry I keep getting in the way. I will cease and desist with trouble shooting.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
It's not your fault. It's just about tailoring the answer to the level of the user. Expert users typically won't even need those documents to get themselves out of a pinch. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.