Replacing failed drive issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

hummer5

Dabbler
I built the FreeNAS last year and uptil not was working fine except for few glitches. Last month one of my 2 TB western digital failed. So i got a replacement from WD but instead of sendind 2TB 7200, they have sent me 3TB 5400. The old drive is removed as directed in the manual and now it is showing offline. The new drive is showing but says unavailable.
When i try to use the GUI to click on replace i get an error as the drive sectors are different. Assuming the size is different. Can someone please help me out.

Thanks in advance.

warri

Guru
Which FreeNAS Version? I know 9.x doesn't let you create volumes with differently sized hard drives, but I always though replace should work. In the worst case you have to go back to 8.3.2 temporarily or do the replacement via CLI.

hummer5

Dabbler
Thank you so much for replying so quick. Replace unfortunately is not working and i have 9.1.1 installed. I can try to downgrade to 8.3.2 and see if i can do it that way. I don't know what CLI means, can you please shed some light on that.

Thanks again.

gpsguy

CLI = command line interface

One might access the console/shell from the server console, or via SSH from another machine.

But, you'd need the syntax for the commands you would need to type.

Sent from my phone

hummer5

Dabbler
So it is hard or impossible to put a 3tb to replace a 2tb hdd.

Well i got a 2tb hdd now and have put that one now but still when i click replace i am getting error. Any suggestions???

Dusan

Guru
There should be no problem replacing a drive with a larger one. Could you please copy & paste the error message you are getting?

Status
Not open for further replies.