Replacement system - consolidation and sanity check request

serverloft

Cadet
Hello, I should be grateful for any opinions and advice on the following. I have, for many years, run a FreeNAS (now TrueNAS) server, specs below, as a NFS server to a Proxmox server for virtualisation. Given the increasing electricity prices and the heat in the little server room in the loft/attic recently, I am looking to replace the separate machines with a consolidated server running TrueNAS scale and hopefully replace the drives with SSDs.

The system is just used domestically and runs:

1. MS WIndows Server for AD/print/NPS
2. Zoneminder with 2x 4k and 1x 8k cameras
3. OpenHAB for all domestic DMX lighting
4. 2x Windows 10 virtualised desktops
5. Squeezebox server
6. FreePBX
7. UniFI management
8. SophosUTM
9. HassIO (a bridge between the intruder alarm and OpenHAB)
plus a few other machines, Gentoo, Ubuntu etc

The heaviest load is the CCTV and there are more cameras to add - the CPUs sit around 60% at idle with the VMs running.

Rackmount chassis with SuperMicro S9SCM-F
Xeon E3-1230 v2
16GB RAM
4x4Gb 7200RPM (mixture of SAS and SATA)
1x3Gb 7200RPM
1x2Gb 7200RPM
3x 2-disk mirrors with 8TB overall storage (unfortunately, the disk replacements over time led to unmatched mirrors)

Supermicro - X8DTL
2x L5520
92GB RAM

I have just bought a second hand HP DL380g9 with 2x E5-2650 v4 and 224GB RAM. Hopefully this would be enough to cover both machines.

My main issue is now around the disks. SSDs are very much more power efficient but the cost is such that I will not be able to get 4x 4TB disks at once - the DL380 also takes SFF disks rather than the 3.5" I have already. I have seen that there is scope for scaling RAIDz within ZFS and wondered if it is possible to start with 2 disks in a degraded array (as I did once with MDRAID) and then extend to RAIDz2 in the future or would it be better to have a mix of HDD and SSD just to get the machine built?

Thank you,
Andrew

NugentS

MVP
You cannot (yet) expand a vdev, irrespective of wether its RAIDZ or Mirrored. You may be able to expand a RAIDZ in the future - but its not here yet.

danb35

Hall of Famer
You cannot (yet) expand a vdev, irrespective of wether its RAIDZ or Mirrored.
You can certainly expand a mirrored vdev, whether you're talking about "two-way mirror to three-way mirror" or "add another mirrored pair to increase capacity." But not, as you say, RAIDZn.