repeated crashes with "failed to set up stack guard page: Cannot allocate memory" under heavy disk IO load

spotter

Dabbler
I have been seeing repeated crashes qemu/kvm crashes in my VM when under heavy IO load.

all I see in the logs is the message

failed to set up stack guard page: Cannot allocate memory

This is a large VM that maps to all of the CPU resources, and a good chunk (but nowhere near all) of the RAM.

this is on an up to date cobia release.

anyway to debug what's going on?e

all the logs I see are

Code:
2024-03-19 19:16:55.941+0000: shutting down, reason=crashed
2024-03-19 19:38:04.915+0000: starting up libvirt version: 9.0.0, package: 9.0.0-4 (Debian), qemu version: 7.2.2Debian 1:7.2+dfsg-7, kernel: 6.1.74-production+truenas, hostname: truenas.local
LC_ALL=C \
PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin \
HOME=/var/lib/libvirt/qemu/domain-12-1_vm \
XDG_DATA_HOME=/var/lib/libvirt/qemu/domain-12-1_vm/.local/share \
XDG_CACHE_HOME=/var/lib/libvirt/qemu/domain-12-1_vm/.cache \
XDG_CONFIG_HOME=/var/lib/libvirt/qemu/domain-12-1_vm/.config \
/usr/bin/qemu-system-x86_64 \
-name guest=1_vm,debug-threads=on \
-S \
-object '{"qom-type":"secret","id":"masterKey0","format":"raw","file":"/var/lib/libvirt/qemu/domain-12-1_vm/master-key.aes"}' \
-machine pc-i440fx-7.2,usb=off,dump-guest-core=off,memory-backend=pc.ram \
-accel kvm \
-cpu host,migratable=on,host-cache-info=on,l3-cache=off \
-m 131072 \
-object '{"qom-type":"memory-backend-ram","id":"pc.ram","size":137438953472}' \
-overcommit mem-lock=on \
-smp 48,sockets=2,dies=1,cores=12,threads=2 \
-uuid 5a756db6-26f8-4b43-bdf4-e2fe0ddd3bd5 \
-no-user-config \
-nodefaults \
-chardev socket,id=charmonitor,fd=34,server=on,wait=off \
-mon chardev=charmonitor,id=monitor,mode=control \
-rtc base=localtime \
-no-shutdown \
-boot strict=on \
-device '{"driver":"nec-usb-xhci","id":"usb","bus":"pci.0","addr":"0x4"}' \
-device '{"driver":"ahci","id":"sata0","bus":"pci.0","addr":"0x5"}' \
-device '{"driver":"virtio-serial-pci","id":"virtio-serial0","bus":"pci.0","addr":"0x6"}' \
-blockdev '{"driver":"host_device","filename":"/dev/zvol/primary/vm-s5trh3","aio":"threads","node-name":"libvirt-2-storage","cache":{"direct":true,"no-flush":false},"auto-read-only":true,"discard":"unmap"}' \
-blockdev '{"node-name":"libvirt-2-format","read-only":false,"cache":{"direct":true,"no-flush":false},"driver":"raw","file":"libvirt-2-storage"}' \
-device '{"driver":"ide-hd","bus":"sata0.0","drive":"libvirt-2-format","id":"sata0-0-0","bootindex":1,"write-cache":"on"}' \
-blockdev '{"driver":"host_device","filename":"/dev/zvol/primary/vm-store","aio":"threads","node-name":"libvirt-1-storage","cache":{"direct":true,"no-flush":false},"auto-read-only":true,"discard":"unmap"}' \
-blockdev '{"node-name":"libvirt-1-format","read-only":false,"cache":{"direct":true,"no-flush":false},"driver":"raw","file":"libvirt-1-storage"}' \
-device '{"driver":"virtio-blk-pci","bus":"pci.0","addr":"0x7","drive":"libvirt-1-format","id":"virtio-disk0","bootindex":2,"write-cache":"on"}' \
-netdev '{"type":"tap","fd":"35","vhost":true,"vhostfd":"37","id":"hostnet0"}' \
-device '{"driver":"virtio-net-pci","netdev":"hostnet0","id":"net0","mac":"00:a0:98:0e:eb:f8","bus":"pci.0","addr":"0x3"}' \
-chardev pty,id=charserial0 \
-device '{"driver":"isa-serial","chardev":"charserial0","id":"serial0","index":0}' \
-chardev spicevmc,id=charchannel0,name=vdagent \
-device '{"driver":"virtserialport","bus":"virtio-serial0.0","nr":1,"chardev":"charchannel0","id":"channel0","name":"com.redhat.spice.0"}' \
-chardev socket,id=charchannel1,fd=33,server=on,wait=off \
-device '{"driver":"virtserialport","bus":"virtio-serial0.0","nr":2,"chardev":"charchannel1","id":"channel1","name":"org.qemu.guest_agent.0"}' \
-device '{"driver":"usb-tablet","id":"input0","bus":"usb.0","port":"1"}' \
-audiodev '{"id":"audio1","driver":"spice"}' \
-spice port=5900,addr=0.0.0.0,disable-ticketing=on,seamless-migration=on \
-device '{"driver":"qxl-vga","id":"video0","max_outputs":1,"ram_size":67108864,"vram_size":67108864,"vram64_size_mb":0,"vgamem_mb":16,"xres":1024,"yres":768,"bus":"pci.0","addr":"0x2"}' \
-device '{"driver":"vfio-pci","host":"0000:05:00.0","id":"hostdev0","bus":"pci.0","addr":"0x8"}' \
-device '{"driver":"virtio-balloon-pci","id":"balloon0","deflate-on-oom":true,"bus":"pci.0","addr":"0x9"}' \
-sandbox on,obsolete=deny,elevateprivileges=deny,spawn=deny,resourcecontrol=deny \
-msg timestamp=on
char device redirected to /dev/pts/1 (label charserial0)
2024-03-21 08:44:51.274+0000: shutting down, reason=crashed

as far as I can tlel the stack guard page error leads to the crash, as I dont see it in the log of a running VM instance, only after it crashes.

Arwen

MVP
I think the 2nd to last line is more important, "Cannot allocate memory".

We need a bit more information;
  • How much memory is assigned to your VM?
  • How much memory is still available for your TrueNAS instance?
  • What OS & version is your VM?
  • Does your VM have swap space allocated?

spotter

Dabbler
128GB allocated to VM. 384GB on the node .

OS is Ubuntu 23.10. VM has 8GB of swap. (though do you mean swap on node, not in VM?, as the error is an error on the node, not in the VM, on the node there are 10GB of swap, as of now, shows minimal used)

Arwen

MVP
Hmm, I missed that the error was on the TrueNAS SCALE side, not the VM. But my comment about "Cannot allocate memory" is still valid.

I am not well versed in the VM management side, though it does appear that their is a memory limit.

I'd say boost the VM's memory by 16GB and see if the problem returns.

Their is one odd thing in the messages;
-device '{"driver":"qxl-vga","id":"video0","max_outputs":1,"ram_size":67108864,"vram_size":67108864,"
Note that adding up "ram_size" and "vram_size" is 128GBs.

But why is "vram_size" HALF the VM's memory?

Is this on purpose?
Something odd in the VM's configuration?

spotter

Dabbler
weird, just created it via the UI, nothing on purpose. Have it set for 128GB memory size and 128GB minimum memory size. I should note I had it at 180 previously, and lowered it after the first few crashes of this sort.

The machine was running bluefin for a while without a problem (but without that heavy usage of this VM), but i nthe past few weeks due to a failure of an old server, I've been moving 10s of TBs of data into it and have seen these crashes every day or 2.

Arwen

MVP
Hmm, if you were having crashes with 180GBs before, then adding 16GB probably won't help.

Sorry, I am at the end of my knowledge. Perhaps someone else can assist further.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity

spotter

Dabbler
yes, I saw that

yes, I saw that while googling, but wasn't sure how to apply that to truenas.

sfatula

Guru
It appears to me the pinning was one part of the solution in that post, you can do that in scale on the VM edit screen except you are allocated all the cpus so that's not going to work. You couldn't do that in unraid either. I don't know that you'll be able to fix that without reducing the # cpus allocated.

spotter

Dabbler
another crash. not under heavy io load this time. I playing around with virtio and non virtio driver selections.

the only other thing that changed recently with this was sharing a PCI device (a usb 3.0 card) into the VM (but even that, wasn't using the pci device at all anytime during this boot->crash session).

another thing that occurred was upgrading from bluefin to cobia. The VM was mostly idle under bluefin.

from what I can tell, the crash is caused by qemu_alloc_stack()

nothing from that usage stands out to me as wrong, which would imply a weirdness in mprotect() inside the kernel. PROT_NONE on a page should be a simple thing, but the -ENOMEM is returned in many places in the mprotect path which makes it difficult to diagnose. :/

Last edited:

spotter

Dabbler
a few days now without a crash since I moved everything off of virtio. Is it possible that virtio is the cause? I'd think virtio would generally be better than other emulated hardware types, but perhaps I'm wrong?