Removing FreeNAS from HDD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aarix

Cadet
Hey everybody, I'm sure this has been posted before but I haven't had any luck finding it. Basically I installed FreeNAS to the actual harddrive as oppose to the recommend removable storage and I know it wasn't the most wisest thing you could ever do but here we are. Anyway, I would like to reformat it from its native UFS to NTFS so I can reinstall windows on it. However, I have no idea how to go about doing that if it won't boot from a CD. I've looked all over the best I can but I'm out of luck. Any suggestions?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You need to delete the partitions that exist on the drive after booting from the Windows installation CD. Or, you need to delete the partitions that exist on the drive after connecting the drive to another computer that is running Windows.

aarix

Cadet
You need to delete the partitions that exist on the drive after booting from the Windows installation CD. Or, you need to delete the partitions that exist on the drive after connecting the drive to another computer that is running Windows.

That's the thing. It wont let me boot my windows cd. I set ut to boot from cd primarily and it says hit and key to boot from cd and im spammed with freenas and it just loads it regardless and it never boots from the cd so its been a pain

cyberjock

Inactive Account
That's nothing that will be resolved here. We don't support Windows. My first guess is your system can't boot from the CD-ROM for some reason or your CD is bad.

I'm gonna move this to off-topic since it's not about FreeNAS support.

aarix

Cadet
That's nothing that will be resolved here. We don't support Windows. My first guess is your system can't boot from the CD-ROM for some reason or your CD is bad.

I'm gonna move this to off-topic since it's not about FreeNAS support.

I apologize for the wrong topic. I know the cd drive is fine but something about freenas initilizating is inhibiting it from it. It doesn't necessary have to be about windows buy closer to how to format the drive in ntsf

gpsguy

Download DBAN (Dariiks Boot and Nuke) and burn the image to a cd-rom. See if you can boot from this cd and use it to wipe your hard disk. It's overkill, but might be the easiest thing to try.

Your disk doesn't have to be preformatted. You can install Windows on a blank hard disk.

Sent from my phone

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I apologize for the wrong topic. I know the cd drive is fine but something about freenas initilizating is inhibiting it from it. It doesn't necessary have to be about windows buy closer to how to format the drive in ntsf

Well, I already said that you can put the hard drive on another computer and delete the partitions.

I think what is going on in your situation is either (1) your computer isn't booting from the CD-ROM properly(bios setting???) or (2) your computer is failing to boot from the CD-ROM and trying any other device it can find and boots with FreeNAS' disk.

In either case, FreeNAS isn't to blame for your issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.