rip97000

Cadet
first specs
freebsd 8.3 release p7
8 gb ram
4 x 1 tb drives in zfs
it always is on a ups
in service for over a year

there was apparently a power problem at the site where i set it up (i set it up at a business). and the server rebooted. another computer on another ups also rebooted. i have email alerts setup if the power does go out and i did not get one. i also know it works because i have gotten alerts in the past for a quick power loss.

now when the server boots up i get this message:

da0: at umas-sim0 bus scbus6 target 0 lun 0
da0: <SMI USB DISK 1100> Removable Direct Access SCSI-0 device
da0: 40.000MB/s transfers
da0: 7728MB (15826944 512 byte sectors: 255h 63S/T 985C)
GEOM: da0s1: geometry does not match label (16h,63s != 255h,63s).
GEOM: da0s2: geometry does not match label (16h,63s != 255h,63s).
Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/ufs/FreeNASs1a
mount: /dev/ufs/FreeNASs3 : No such file or directory
mount -o ro /dev/ufs/FreeNASs3 /conf/default/etc failed: dropping into /bin/sh
#

so the question is can this be fixed or should i reformat the usb, install the latest version and import the pool?

D

dlavigne

It sounds like the stick is bad, so it is worthwhile burning another stick. I'd recommend using with the same version for now, to make sure it boots okay and imports the pool. You can get it from http://download.freenas.org/.

rip97000

Cadet
that's what i was thinking, but i was hoping that i didn't have reprogram everything

gpsguy

If you made a backup copy of your configuration, you'd be able to restore it, after booting from a freshly installed flash drive. Some FreeNAS users have been able to rescue their configuration file from a bad flash drive. If you can boot off of something else, the file you're looking for (freenas-v1.db) is on the 4th partition.

Elmojo

Cadet
Sorry to dig up this ancient thread, but I just ran into this exact problem. Well, almost. In my case, I believe that FreeNAS is installed on an internal drive. I say 'believe' because I've inherited the care of this machine from someone else, as part of a CPA office I manage. I know absolutely zero about FreeNAS, but this is what they are using for their file server. They called me today in a panic, saying that they can't access the server. They sent a photo, and I see a message that says exactly what Rip97000 posted in the last 2 lines.
I don't even know where to begin... any help?