Remote access to air-gapped CCTV?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oguruma

Patron
At work, we have an air-gapped CCTV system, all IP based-cameras and NVRs.

What would be a good solution to allow temporary remote access in the event that somebody offsite has to do some troubleshooting?

The key issue is that the only reliable internet connection is from the Wifi (which is set up for customers, not staff), which is administered by IT staff that does not, and will not service the surveillance system. We are allowed to use the Wifi for what we need, but we have no control over opening ports (or anything for that matter).

The vendor for the surveillance software prefers to use Teamviewer, but I would like a way to allow TightVNC as well, if possible.

Is there any way to make this happen with something like a Raspberry Pi and ethernet bridging?

joeschmuck

Old Man
Well this is truly an off-topic thread.

Without the support of the IT staff, I don't think you could do what you are suggesting without imposing a vulnerability to your network, and if you did this without your company's explicit written permission, you could be fired for it. I am a remote user for my company and have an office with 6 other people and I have to ensure we do not violate our company policies or install some software that wasn't previously approved or I could be facing looking for another job. Computer security is nothing to be taken lightly. My very strong advice is for you to ensure that what you want to do is really required to be done and not just something you want to do for the heck of it, then pass this up to your boss to force the IT people to do what needs to be done. I'm not saying the IT people will just do it, I would expect there would be some investigation on what is desired and what it proper to ensure proper security.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.