Newbie VPN question

Status
Not open for further replies.

oguruma

Patron
I have very little working knowledge of VPN, other than a basic understanding of how it works, and I am looking to get some input as to a solution that would held me accomplish what I want to do.

I have an IP Surveillance set-up at home. I currently use a PC-based server, but will soon be switching to an off-the-shelf NVR. The NVR does have a mouse input, but is designed to be administered via PC (windows based) software. The cameras do have an iOS app, but it only works for live view, not for reviewing footage.

I travel somewhat frequently, and when the whole family is gone, I usually get my folks (no tech savvy at all) to house-sit.
I want to be able to (securely) remotely access my home network for the following purposes:
- Securely browsing the web (my internet use is usually restricted to hotel/public Wifi).
- Access files (mainly photos) stored on a Freenas Box.
- Review camera footage on the NVR.
- Troubleshoot/conduct basic PC tasks for others in the house (teamviewer/tightVNC).
- Set up remote "Lan Parties" for gaming (this is not a priority, but the capability would be cool).

I currently have an old PC set up as a PFsense box, but I am just experimenting with it right now, and it is not currently deployed in any meaningful sense. I still use a Netgear router, but plan on using the Pfsense box once I get proficient with it. I understand that PFsense supports OpenVPN, but I am not quite sure how this works. I am assuming that I would use a client on my laptop to connect to the PFsense box, and then the PFsense router acts as a gateway for all traffic?

I'm tuning in to this thread. I'm interested in the same thing.

tvsjr

Guru
Yep, exactly. It's pretty straightforward to set up VPN on pfSense - they even include a wizard. For your remote devices, you'd access it using the OpenVPN client software and the .ovpn file that pfSense will generate for you. I do exactly what you're trying to do... if I'm on any untrusted network, I connect and then immediately start OpenVPN and route all traffic back through my home connection. I also have site-to-site tunnels to the parents' house (remote support) and my truck (long story). Works great. Don't let it intimidate you... there are plenty of good guides out there to help.

oguruma

Patron
Any recommendations in terms of which client (windows) to use? As I understand it there are some free ones and some fee-based ones.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Openvpn provides a good client.

Also, I'm moving this to off topic because it doesn't have anything to do with freenas.

zoomzoom

Guru
I posted a reply to another thread yesterday, providing some information you may find useful. While you can utilize RDP over an SSL VPN, I think (@pirateghost will need to confirm) an IPSec/HTML5 VPN is better suited for that specifically.

Last edited:

oguruma

Patron
I appreciate the feedback from everybody. Is anybody able to ensure my understanding of "site to site" VPN is correct? My understanding is that Site to Site allows tunneling between two entire networks, is that correct?

So for example: LAN in Reno, Nevada <----> Router/Switch in Reno, Nevada <-------------------> Router/Switch in Portugal <----------> LAN in Portugal

Is this more or less a correct understanding? Does Site to Site allow networks in two different locations to function as one network, without each computer on the network having to be using the client? I.E. the router handles all of that.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
In site to site, the router handles it all. You won't want the subnets on both sides to be in the same subnet. You will want them to be different subnets that the router and VPN will communicate between.

oguruma

Patron
In site to site, the router handles it all. You won't want the subnets on both sides to be in the same subnet. You will want them to be different subnets that the router and VPN will communicate between.

Hardware-wise, this requires a configured router at both locations, correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.