Pfsense, VPN, and FreeNAS with Plex help needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tfast500

Explorer
I was hoping someone that is familiar with pfsense and networking could help me here. I recently routed all traffic through a VPN that I setup on pfsense router. I quickly realized my Plex server would not work since the VPN does not allow me to configure port fwd on the vpn side. I am trying to figure out how to configure pfsense to route my Plex plugin / jail IP around the vpn so that it uses my isp wan. I have searched the net and haven't found anything that a. made any sense to me or b. Did not fit my exact scenerio.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Huh? What's your goal?
  • Access Plex via the VPN - just connect to the VPN and access Plex like you normally would.
  • Access Plex remotely, but without going through the VPN - this is a bad idea, but it's just a port forward like you normally would.

tfast500

Explorer
The second one since my vpn provider doesn't allow port fwd I need to rout my Plex around the vpn to just use my normal ISP WAN address

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
vpn provider doesn't allow port fwd
What you're saying makes no sense. It's a VPN, there are no ports to forward, it's literally a network tunnel that exits behind the firewall and behind NAT.

tfast500

Explorer
I don't think I am explaining myself clearly I guess. Basically in order to connect to Plex from outside my network you have to fwd port 32400 by default. I am able to do this when not behind a vpn successfully. However since I have set up the vpn on my router to hide my traffic I can't hit my server from outside my network because I am unable to fwd the port on the vpn side(while my traffic plex traffic is going through the vpn). My vpn provider does not give the option to open ports currently.

I am trying to split tunnel my network traffic so everything except for Plex routes through the vpn.

Plex should not send or receive traffic through the vpn. (I want all of its traffic to route through my normal ISP wan address. (this will allow me to use the regular nat port fwd rules.

This is what I'm aiming for.

Last edited:

tfast500

Explorer
I believe I figured it out. I am not positive Its secure but it seems to be working. My public IP and DNS shows my configured vpn server and my plex is now routed through my normal isp wan address.

Here is what I did:

Created a Firewall -> Rules -> Lan
  • IPV4 TCP/UDP 192.168.1.2 * * * WAN_DHCP
Create a Firewall -> NAT -> Outbound
  • WAN 192.168.1.0/24 * * * WAN_address 32400

You should connect to plex via your Vpn. I.e. Have all the plex traffic inside the Vpn and then log into the vpn remotely to view plex. If you're try to view it without the Vpn you'll have to move your plex out of the vpn and open the ports to the Internet.

I personally wouldn't go the second route. Having your plex exposed to the wasteland that is the intawebz is asking for it to get wrecked by some hacker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.