CIFS not visible over wifi, work over lan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skar78

Dabbler
Hi.

I use FreeNAS-9.2.1.5-RELEASE-x64 (80c1d35) and successfully managed to create CIFS.

I have one PC and one Notebook.

PC is connected via ethernet, Notebook via wifi.

Both Win 8.1 and exactly same network settings as far as I can judge.

However the PC is easily discovering the Freenas box via network discovery, the wifi connected Notebook is not.

Is there even a remote chance that this is not a router/firewall (pfsense) issue?

I didnt find a single option in freenas that gives me any hint. However I would love to know more advanced users opinion.

(i am even less experienced with pfsense in comparison to freenas.)

Best Regards,
Skar

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Not a clue. But as it works on your desktop I think that's a sure-fire thing that it's not FreeNAS. Sounds like you have a network problem to figure out. ;)

I'm gonna move this to off-topic since it's not a FreeNAS problem.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
You may want to verify
(1) that your notebook is in the same LAN and subnet as your FreeNAS box.
(2) that your notebook's firewall isn't blocking CIFS traffic.
(3) that your notebook, desktop, and FreeNAS are all in the same workgroup.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
If you're using multiple Router/Access Points, be sure you're not creating a dual (or triple or more) NAT situation by using their WAN ports - many (but not all: Asus Routers have a dedicated access point mode that also allows for the WAN port to be used as just another LAN port) such routers always do NAT on their WAN ports, which would cause problems like this.

Rand

Guru
Do you see it with the notebook on a wired connection?

Is the wifi on home network too? Is netbios active on that interface?
Can you access the shares if you use \\<name or ip>\sharename ?

Whattteva

Wizard
Is there even a remote chance that this is not a router/firewall (pfsense) issue?

I didnt find a single option in freenas that gives me any hint. However I would love to know more advanced users opinion.

(i am even less experienced with pfsense in comparison to freenas.)
This is puzzling me. Are you using a pfsense box in this setup? If you are, it sounds like you shouldn't even be using pfsense at all... which is probably a little overkill for your network setup.

For network problems such as this, you should probably give more information on how your network is laid out.

Last edited:

Robert Smith

Patron
In addition to what other folks said.

Are your wired and wireless clients on the same subnet? If not, [with proper routing] you can still access CIFS shares (by typing the share path directly), but you cannot browse for shares with explorer, as broadcast traffic [needed for browsing] will not go to other subnets all by itself.

If the pfSense is sitting in between, it absolutely can block (and will by default).

papanoel87

Dabbler
Hi I think I have the same problem here but I'm not exactly sure.

I have a wired network with IPs like 150.xxx.xxx.xxx and over one of those ips hangs a router I use to provide private ips (192.xxx.xxx.xxx) to certain devices. One of these devices will be a freenas box.

How could the wired windows machines (ip in the 150.* range) see the cifs share of the freenas? Should I open ports (137-139,445) for this? Should I also route the traffic for the 192.* ips to the router? What else?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Hi I think I have the same problem here but I'm not exactly sure.

I have a wired network with IPs like 150.xxx.xxx.xxx and over one of those ips hangs a router I use to provide private ips (192.xxx.xxx.xxx) to certain devices. One of these devices will be a freenas box.

How could the wired windows machines (ip in the 150.* range) see the cifs share of the freenas? Should I open ports (137-139,445) for this? Should I also route the traffic for the 192.* ips to the router? What else?
your network is messed up. You shouldn't be using 150.x.x.x for ip address since those are public address. Why don't you just have everything on the 192.168.x.x network? To make it work i think you will need to have a router that knows about each network and can route traffic between them.

marian78

Patron
some routers have options to isolate wifi clients from lan....

papanoel87

Dabbler
your network is messed up. You shouldn't be using 150.x.x.x for ip address since those are public address. Why don't you just have everything on the 192.168.x.x network? To make it work i think you will need to have a router that knows about each network and can route traffic between them.

Yes, they are public adresses. I don't manage the network, I just have the subnet.

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
Open a new thread. You sound like you have a different problem. You have 2 separate networks with a firewall and NAT in between them.

Status
Not open for further replies.