Help with WiFi speed Vs. LAN speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanallan

Dabbler
If anyone can lend a hand, I'm having an issue with WiFi transfer speeds to my freenas box.

When I write files to the NAS from my PC:
I'm getting good transfers via hardwired cat5 - about 90MB/s
But when on WiFi only 20MB/s.
This is strange because I can transfer to other computers on my network via WiFi at 60MB/s.

FreeNAS 9.2.1.5
ZFS-2 array
WiFi AC all round - link rate shows good signal strength and 1053 Mbps

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Well, at 20MB/sec you are the fastest Wifi throughput I think I've ever seen on this forum. It might be very possible to transfer at 60MB/sec if you have that feature where the devices can talk to each other directly.

But to be honest, Wifi is a technology of convenience and not a technology of speed. You get the convenience at the penalty of speed. I'd be absolutely thrilled to get 20MB/sec through wifi based on what I've seen around here. I'm only running 802.11g, but I have a high powered relatively expensive setup and I don't need more than the 5-6MB/sec that I already get.

ryanallan

Dabbler
The issue is that others with the same WiFi gear seem to be getting around 40MB/s writes to their NAS boxes.

And the fact that I'm getting 20MB/s while the link rate shows 1053 Mbps has me wondering why.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Well, that 1053Mbps is nothing even remotely close to what you'll get for actual throughput. As I said earlier, 20MB/sec makes you the highest throughput I've seen on this forum.

Is your FreeNAS box the C2550d4i in your sig?

ryanallan

Dabbler
Yep, and otherwise it's a great little platform.

I read your replies in other threads recommending to not really play with the FreeNAS settings.
And I haven't.
Just a standard Windwos CIFS share.

I've tried setting up my pool as both a mirror and ZFS-2, and get the same 20MB/s write speed.

Maybe I'll just have to live with this...

cyberjock

Inactive Account
What Windows version are you using? Have you tried forcing it to SMB2 for Windows 7 or equivalent for whatever OS you are using?

ryanallan

Dabbler
I'm just reading about that now actually, is this a Windows setting?
I'm on Windows 8. Apparently it uses SMB3.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You can force it on your client or server. I'd recommend you do it on the server just for convenience. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.