Reinstalled Freenas, now cant use disks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KG1

Cadet
Hi,
Sorry for the newb question.
I had Freenas 9.x running on my server via a usb stick. I messed up some network config and decided to reinstall Freenas on the usb stick.
After reinstalling Freenas on the usb stick, i plugged into my server and booted up.
I have the OS running fine now, but how can I reuse the 3 disks (that have data on it that I don't want to lose).
I think I originally had them setup as UFS. The disks show up, but that's about it, can't create volume since that will wipe out the data on the disk.
Is there any way to recover this data?

Thanks
KG
I tried using import volume, but get error 'The selected disks were not verified for these import rules. Filesystem check failed'

Last edited:

joeschmuck

Old Man
Import the UFS volumes. Follow the manual.

KG1

Cadet
Thanks joe, i did a gpart list to provide more information, attaching the output as text file, but it looks like these are ZFS, not UFS?

So, I just tried Auto importing volume and got an error (below), but when I see the volumes, it looks like it has imported the volumes!

Exception Type:AssertionError
Exception Value:
Exception Location:/usr/local/www/freenasUI/../freenasUI/middleware/notifier.py in system_dataset_create, line 5020
Server time:Sat, 25 Oct 2014 10:54:58 -0500

Traceback text:

Environment:

Software Version: FreeNAS-9.2.1.8-RELEASE-x64 (e625626)
Request Method: POST
Request URL: http://192.168.29.143/storage/auto-import/

Traceback:
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/core/handlers/base.py" in get_response
107. response = middleware_method(request, callback, callback_args, callback_kwargs)
File "/usr/local/www/freenasUI/../freenasUI/freeadmin/middleware.py" in process_view
158. return login_required(view_func)(request, *view_args, **view_kwargs)
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/contrib/auth/decorators.py" in _wrapped_view
22. return view_func(request, *args, **kwargs)
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/views/generic/base.py" in view
69. return self.dispatch(request, *args, **kwargs)
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/contrib/formtools/wizard/views.py" in dispatch
236. response = super(WizardView, self).dispatch(request, *args, **kwargs)
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/views/generic/base.py" in dispatch
87. return handler(request, *args, **kwargs)
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/contrib/formtools/wizard/views.py" in post
297. return self.render_done(form, **kwargs)
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/contrib/formtools/wizard/views.py" in render_done
350. done_response = self.done(final_form_list, **kwargs)
File "/usr/local/www/freenasUI/../freenasUI/storage/forms.py" in done
1080. notifier().restart("system_datasets")
File "/usr/local/www/freenasUI/../freenasUI/middleware/notifier.py" in restart
363. self._simplecmd("restart", what)
File "/usr/local/www/freenasUI/../freenasUI/middleware/notifier.py" in _simplecmd
239. f()
File "/usr/local/www/freenasUI/../freenasUI/middleware/notifier.py" in _restart_system_datasets
4908. systemdataset = self.system_dataset_create()
File "/usr/local/www/freenasUI/../freenasUI/middleware/notifier.py" in system_dataset_create
5020. assert volume.vol_fstype in ('ZFS', 'UFS')

Exception Type: AssertionError at /storage/auto-import/
Exception Value:

Attachments

• gpart.txt
    4.3 KB · Views: 215
Last edited:
D

dlavigne

That's not supposed to happen. Please create a bug report at bugs.freenas.org that includes that traceback and post the issue number here.

embe

Dabbler
Ehm, i also messed something up (deleted some jail datasets) and freenas wont start anymore. After deleting that dataset i get sorry message that something wnet wrong. If i now reinstall my 9.3 FreeNas, will i be able to import my ZFS Volume and get all data stored back?

joeschmuck

Old Man
Ehm, i also messed something up (deleted some jail datasets) and freenas wont start anymore. After deleting that dataset i get sorry message that something wnet wrong. If i now reinstall my 9.3 FreeNas, will i be able to import my ZFS Volume and get all data stored back?
It depends on what damage you did to it.

embe

Dabbler
@ joeschmuck: I reinstalled Freenas, imported volume, uploaded config and everything is up and running now. The only issue is now that i am not able to delete old plugins which doesn't work nor these wont start. When deleting them, it shows error that Jail not found. I am now trying to create minidlna jail (example, because such old plugin is installed and couldn't be uninstalled due to above mentioned error) but i am not sure if it will work....
Any idea how to safely remove/uninstall these old plugins?

Edit - of course it didn't work with simple creating jail "Minidlna" :(

Last edited:

joeschmuck

Old Man
You should be able to use the shell (I recommend SSH and something like Putty) and go into the cd /mnt/[pool]/jails (where [pool] = name of your pool) and delete the jails you don't want. If you do not know how to use the command line commands, Google "freebsd rm man" or"freebsd delete directory" and find out how to remove an entire directory. Reboot when done. Only remove one and then reboot to ensure you didn't screw it up but if you're in the jails section, you should be fine.

embe

Dabbler
Thanks joe, I have tried but it doesn't work. See below. What am i doing wrong? After I tried to delete all of it, and after restart, everything remained there....:(

scr01.jpg

Last edited:

joeschmuck

Old Man
Arg... You are trying to delete the wrong stuff.

You should only be deleting the jails you wanted removed, not the templates. You should be looking for the directory that matches your jail name you want to delete, do not just start deleting everything you see or you will be in trouble. If it starts with a period, don't delete it unless it has the word ".meta" at the end and it matches a jail you want to delete.

embe

Dabbler
I see. But there are only these templates. Nothing else. At least in GUI. So there is not much to delete (see above screenshot on the left side of it in Storage menu). I just copied all data from FreeNas to other computer and am i thinking of either deleting whole Volume or fresh install. Fresh install would mean to set up everything again, which is pain. And i am not sure if existing Volume (Storage_1 in my case) would be completely cleaned with fresh install and creating new RaidZ2 Volume. On the other hand i am not sure how to completely delete Volume from GUI, documentation is not talking about it....:( I am even not sure if any of above 2 methods will help either.

What would you suggest wil be better?

joeschmuck

Old Man
Simply because you have already backed up your data and may have caused other issues while trying to delete the jail templates, it's better for you to delete your drives and start fresh. This also means you start with the new jails. Also, if you are stating you have these templates listed under the Jails tab, something is messed up.

embe

Dabbler
Yep, sure :) Is it necessary to delete ZFS Volume (Storage_1) before reinstall and then create it again in fresh install? How to easily delete it in GUI? Using Detach Volume for example? Or?

joeschmuck

Old Man
Follow the user manual, all the information is there.

embe

Dabbler
Now everything OK, FreeNas reinstalled and all is working now, including Mediabrowser plugin, thx for help.

Status
Not open for further replies.