Recovering zfs pool after reinstalling freenas

Status
Not open for further replies.

bo1e

Cadet
I have an old computer running freenas with 2x2tb wd green disks in a zfs pool. It works ok, but there are a few problems, one of them is giving me trouble right now. The system is not completely stable. After being up for a few weeks or months, the system sometimes becomes unavailable. Not reachable at all. So I have to hard reboot it. It's a crappy old, poorly specced computer, so I guess that's to be expected. The problem is, it takes forever to boot up again. The disks sound like they are working hard during the bootup so I guess they are being scanned, due to the unclean shutdown(?). This is abit of a problem when it happens. The system will be unavailable for hours. This of course will happen at power failures and such too. It seems like it takes more time to get it back up every time it happens too. Perhaps due to growing amounts of data on the disks?

So right now I am having this problem, and I have waited for many hours and no luck. I have tried starting with safe mode, but it seems to make no differense. I was thinking maybe I should try to reinstall freenas, latest version, and recover the zfs pool from the new installation, but I don't know if that will work.

There's probably a log somewhere which could tell someone exactly what is going on and what is causing the problem. I realise I should read up on this, but I am quite blank on anything beyond getting freenas to work in the simplest way.

I am attaching a shot of what the screen looks like right now. Any pointers anyone can give will be greatly appreciated.

edit:

I see that this question probably would fit better in the n00b section. Feel free to move it, anyone who can. Also, I see that my hardware is nowhere near what it should be to run zfs. I will put together something beefier for future use. I have read that rescuing a zfs pool in a fresh install is doable. Crossing my fingers for it to work.

Attachments

• IMG_20120721_132855.jpg
    IMG_20120721_132855.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 212
Status
Not open for further replies.