Not open for further replies.

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
In the OP, the most likely scenario is:
  • Failing drive was removed from RAIDZ1 vdev. So far, nothing catastrophic. This is represented by the UNAVAIL within the RAIDZ1 vdev.
  • Drive was added as a vdev. Not immediately catastrophic, but very nasty.
  • Second vdev was removed, effectively destroying the pool. This one is represented by the additional devices message.
I'm fairly certain that vdevs only contain information about their drives, not other vdevs', thus the vague message seen here.

Jippe

Cadet
I probably used the "Manual Setup.." option in the Volume Manager since the "Automatic" way only allowed me to add the new drive as a "stripe"...

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I probably used the "Manual Setup.." option in the Volume Manager since the "Automatic" way only allowed me to add the new drive as a "stripe"...
That's because there is no other possibility.

Jippe

Cadet
By the way, the newly added drive was wiped using the "Quick wipe" option. Is there perhaps any chance to recover from that?

danb35

Hall of Famer
  1. "Stripe" is the only way that a single drive could be added to an existing pool
  2. You would have had to use the manual setup, since the automatic volume manager would have refused to add the drive, giving you a warning in bold red print saying that it was a bad idea.

rs225

Guru
By the way, the newly added drive was wiped using the "Quick wipe" option. Is there perhaps any chance to recover from that?

Depends what 'quick wipe' technically means. If somebody here can help you recreate the partition table that would have existed on the drive, you can try to import.

Failing that, the original data may someday be recoverable, especially if you had snapshots.

Status
Not open for further replies.