Recover deleted files

Ryan Bannon

Cadet
I have a FreeNAS set up that holds 5 folders. One of the folders has subfolders but the files inside are no longer available. This happened after I switched off Windows Offline sync feature. Why did this happen and how can I recover the files? I am using Windows 10.

Last edited:

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Did you have periodic snapshots enabled on the dataset in FreeNAS? In that case, yes, you can recover easily.

If not, it might be more complicated to work out what changed and where you might be able to find a copy of the data. (perhaps on the Windows machine if you have file history set on the drive that had the offline sync copy)

Ryan Bannon

Cadet
Did you have periodic snapshots enabled on the dataset in FreeNAS? In that case, yes, you can recover easily.

If not, it might be more complicated to work out what changed and where you might be able to find a copy of the data. (perhaps on the Windows machine if you have file history set on the drive that had the offline sync copy)
No the periodic snapshot were not set. How can I check if the file history was set on the drive? I am sorry I am a beginner kindly bear with me. Thanks.

As I understand it, Windows file history only applies to local drives, not network drives. Once you've got this sorted out, you might want to enable the recycle bin and shadow copies for your network shares.

Ryan Bannon

Cadet
As I understand it, Windows file history only applies to local drives, not network drives. Once you've got this sorted out, you might want to enable the recycle bin and shadow copies for your network shares.
There is a CSC folder created after the sync in C drive. Although it has that folder but it does not contain any files. There are two other files which I cannot open since the format is not handled by any application. Could these files be the shadow copies of that folder?

I doubt it.

File History only backs up copies of files that are in the Documents, Music, Pictures, Videos, and Desktop folders and the OneDrive files available offline on your PC. If you have files or folders elsewhere that you want backed up, you can add them to one of these folders. File History in Windows

Redcoat

MVP
Do you have a Win 10 System Restore Point that you can step back to that would make the files you seek available to you in Windoze?