NAS 9.2.1.9 Recovering Deleted files on a UFS Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandcrab

Cadet
Not sure where to post this question, but here it is...

Due to an error on my part, several hundred movies were accidentally deleted from a drive on my FreeNAS server.
Using the SHELL, I CD / and mounted the drive. Within the specific folder where these files resided, I can perform the LS command and see every file that has been deleted. Nothing further has been written to this drive after the deletion was detected.

Is there a command or series of commands that I can issue using the SHELL to recover these files? Or maybe a utility that I can run from my Windows machine that will access the network and the shared drive?

The NAS machine is a standalone x86 with 4 STAT drives, booting off a USB stick, running NAS v9.2.1.9, all drives are using the UFS file system, and no, I don't have any backups. There is no CD/DVD or floppy attached. Primary access to this machine is via the GUI interface over my home network from a Win 10 machine.

I also must note that beyond a few simple UNIX commands, I am clueless. Be specific, step by step as if you were talking to a ten-year-old over the phone. (That's probably an insult to most ten-year-olds today)

Very respectfully,
Sandcrab

rs225

Guru
I don't understand how the files can be deleted and still show up with an ls command.

But what you are looking for is UFS Explorer for Windows. You can connect your disk to the Windows PC, and it will do what it can by copying the files it can recover to your local PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.