Need Help Killing Clones. ( I'm the Real One, I Swear! )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gravypicante

Dabbler
So I finally used the FreeNAS "Snapshot" feature for the first time today. Pretty awesome; was able to recover a few files I deleted accidentally.

I read somewhere that it's a better idea to clone a snapshot than to try rolling back or whatever. So I cloned the snapshot I needed, and it appeared as a sub-something ( indented, little triangle next to main vol ) under the main volume on the Active Volumes page.

Made a temporary Windows share, copied the files I was after, and then deleted the clone.

... or at least, I tried to delete the clone. Clicked on the "Destroy Dataset" button and confirmed that I wanted to delete it.

And the clone is still there. Like nothing ever happened.

So if "Destroy Dataset" doesn't remove the clone, what does? And maybe more importantly, what the hell did I actually delete by using that button?

The volume in question is a 2-drive, mirrored ZFS volume, by the way. Any help greatly appreciated.

Gravypicante

Dabbler
You probably need to release the share, before you can delete the data set.

I did delete the Windows share (in FreeNAS) before I tried to delete the clone. Maybe my computer is kinda clingy and just needs to let go of the shared drive before I can delete it. I'll try it again tomorrow, after restarting my computer. Thanks for the suggestion.

Gravypicante

Dabbler
Hmm... well I tried it again today and it worked just fine. Whatever was wrong with it, not a problem now. Good enough for me!

Status
Not open for further replies.