Reconfigure and Upgrade FreeNas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rasparthe

Cadet
I was hoping to get some opinions on how I should go about upgrading my FreeNas, I'm fairly newbish at this but managed to get the original box up and running without much problem.

I currently running 8.3.0 and want to move to 9.xxx, but I would also like to move from 32 to 64bit as I've already installed past the 4GB limit of 32-bit.

So, do I upgrade to 8.3.0 64-bit (I understand this should be fairly easy, save config file, instal 64-bit version and then upload config) and then upgrade to 9.xxx

Or is it possible to just do a fresh instal of 9.xxx 64bit and I should be able to use the saved config from 8.3.0?

Or upgrade to 9.xxx 32 bit and then move to 64-bit?

What would be the easiest way of accomplishing this without having to redo all the configs and maintaining my volumes so it as close to plug and play as possible?

Thanks!

joeschmuck

Old Man
I won't go into the details about if you have enough RAM or not but to switch over to 64 bit is straight forward provided you do not have any jails/plugins. You should use a different USB Flash drive so if you run into problems you can just reinstall it. Using a new flash drive, install 9.2.1.9-x64, import your pool(s). Setup your NAS configuration. I don't think you can just migrate over from 32 bit to 64 bit and reuse your configuration file, although I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Rasparthe

Cadet
Thanks for the information. For those trying something similar, I downloaded the latest version 9.2.1.9 x64, installed it onto a separate USB drive (so I could go back if needed) and it started up without issue. Uploaded the config file I saved from 8.3.0 and everything looks in order, my volumes are the same as before and my main computer recognized them the same as before, even my RAID mirror. Thanks for the help, recognizing all 16GB of RAM now.

Status
Not open for further replies.