recommendations to play music

Status
Not open for further replies.

bighead81

Cadet
Just built my first home server running freenas. I would like to transfer all of my music from pc w7 to freenas box but not sure how to achieve what I want or more like what to use.

I would like to be able to play music directly from freenas. Directly Connect my surround sound.

Also stream the music to my android tablet and when not at home via internet

My current music is being played by iTunes but not loyal. Whatever tickets all the boxes.

Cheers

Check out Subsonic/Madsonic/Futuresonic.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
You can't play media on the server. It has to be transferred/streamed to something else.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I think Ericloewe answered your question.

There are NO audio drivers on FreeNAS. So if you plan to hook up directly to your FreeNAS, well, that won't work.

What I've done is setup a Logitech Media Server and a Raspberry Pi and I stream to my Pi, which then outputs to my sound system in my basement.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
As everyone else said it's not possible without hacking, and is not advised.

With that said, I was thinking of experimenting with this one day. I think what I'm going to try is...
  • drop the needed driver in /boot/modules
  • add the tunable to load this driver
  • see if the driver appears in my subsonic jail, if not then even more hacking would be needed to modify devfs.rules and I might give up here
  • set the output device to whatever (optical / hdmi / analog)
  • from the DSub android app, or subsonic web-interface switch to jukebox mode
These steps worked on my sister's pfSense router, I played music using jukebox mode on subsonic, in a jail. If you don't know what the steps are I listed are doing, I don't suggest you try them. Also FreeNAS is a very embedded system so any hacking you do will possibly get wiped out with the next update.

Status
Not open for further replies.