Rebuild Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darren Yorston

Dabbler
Recently I experienced a degraded array as a result of a dead disc. I had problems replacing it as the disc did not appear anymore so I could not select Replace. Thankfully I had all my material stored elsewhere. Unfortunately advice here was unsuccessfull so I took the step of starting from scratch with all new WD red disks.

Ever since I have had trouble installing FreeNAS. I have had the error 19 code however now I am getting a problem in the installer. I am able to select the disc I want to install to however the installer reports:

gpart: arg0 'ada0' : Invalid argument

It then stops.

I have tried installing to multiple drives and USB2.0 sticks and get the same message.

I am trying to install 9.3.1 and have verified the checksum.

Installation is occuring on a system which has previously run FreeNAS for the past 2 years.

m0nkey_

MVP
As per the forum rules, please post your hardware details. You'll more likely to get a response.

Darren Yorston

Dabbler
Tried on two different builds.

The first is what has been running for the past two years:

Intel Core i-7-860
16RAM
6 x Western Digital 3TB Red NAS drives
1 x Corsair 60GB SSD
Gigabyte P55A-UD4 board

The second is a borrowed system cureently running FreeNAS 9.3.1:

Supermicro x7dca-l
Intel xeon cpu's
48gb of ddr2 ecc

Both have the same problem. Gpart invalid argument upon trying to install. Attempting to install to a 60gb ssd as i have some surplus to needs.

If i try to install to a usb 2.0 stick i get the error 19 message.

m0nkey_

MVP
gpart: arg0 'ada0' : Invalid argument
This suggests a disk error. Do either of your systems support GPT type partitions? Both of the systems seem to be a few years old. What version of FreeNAS were your running previously?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
You might want to try freenas 9.2.1.9 to see if your older hardware is better supported.

Darren Yorston

Dabbler
This suggests a disk error. Do either of your systems support GPT type partitions? Both of the systems seem to be a few years old. What version of FreeNAS were your running previously?
The supermicro is brand new, about a month old. Its the only supermicro board carried by the two biggest online suppliers.

Darren Yorston

Dabbler
You might want to try freenas 9.2.1.9 to see if your older hardware is better supported.

9.3.1 worked 3 weeks ago. My system was running fine with the first build fine until a disk failed. However trying to reinstall i get the gpart or error 19 message.

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
Deja vu...
  1. Wipe the SSD
    • I think you said you use "Active@ Killdisk" in your other thread (comment #8)
    • I have not used that and recommend DiskPart or something else
  2. Connect it to the SuperMicro system that you borrowed; which was running FreeNas fine
    • Disconnect ALL other hard drives
  3. Attach the USB
  4. Boot and install FreeNas to the SSD

Darren Yorston

Dabbler
Tried that. Even tried brand new, straight out if the packet, USB drives.

I can get to the install part, that is the problem. When i run the installer straight after i select the install source it gives me the gpart error. Whether its ssd or usb gpart says invald argument, i frequently getting the error 19 error.

The installation stops, it does not complete.

Mirfster

Download a version from a couple weeks ago, heck even one from late 2015 and see if that will install. If so, then simply update afterwards.

Here is a link to the available 9.3.1 versions: http://download.freenas.org/9.3.1/STABLE/

If any of those work, then I would suggest you file a bug indicating the issues and let them know which versions worked or did not work.

gpsguy

Try doing the install to one of your flash drives on another machine. The move it to your new hardware.

You say the "Supermicro is brand new". What model # is it?

m0nkey_

MVP
The supermicro is brand new, about a month old. Its the only supermicro board carried by the two biggest online suppliers.
I somewhat doubt it's a new board, it was released several years ago (the chipset was released by Intel in 2007) and uses DDR2 RAM (we're now on DDR4).

Mirfster

New suggestion...

Get whomever the "borrowed system currently running FreeNAS 9.3.1" owner is over. Buy them a six pack, pizza, gift card, whatever... and have them install FreeNas. ;)

Darren Yorston

Dabbler
I somewhat doubt it's a new board, it was released several years ago (the chipset was released by Intel in 2007) and uses DDR2 RAM (we're now on DDR4).
Cant offer anything there mate. Here is the link to the board which was bought new.

Status
Not open for further replies.