Installing FreeNAS on USB stick

Status
Not open for further replies.

lubro

Cadet
I am working and learning FreeNAS a couple of years. I work with 2 USB sticks for the operating system, they are in mirror configuration.
In the past I had 4 critical alerts showing problems with the operating system.
Each time I made a new fresh installation, and loaded up the config file. So all worked fine again.
I searched for information about what could be the recurring problem, and I found that the size of the two USB sticks should be exactly the same available amount of storage.
I verified that there was a small difference in the capacity after formatting. The used sticks are Kingston Data Traveller 32 Gb, bought at the same moment.
I now have made a fresh install from an USB installer stick, and made the install on both the Kingston sticks simultaneously. It seems I have no problems anymore. My question : is this the best way to avoid problems such as I had ?
Many thanks for any advice.

MrToddsFriends

Documentation Browser
It seems I have no problems any more. My question : is this the best way to avoid problems such as I had ?

Yes. The remark "If the device sizes are different, the mirror is limited to the size of the smaller device" in the manual exactly says that the problem you described does not occur if mirroring of the boot devices is done during install and not afterwards.

lubro

Cadet
Ok MrToddsFriends, thanks a lot for your help. now I'm quite sure that my earlier problems will no more occur?
Best regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.