FreeNAS 9.3.1 Classic "mountroot>" Hassle

Status
Not open for further replies.
All,

I'm getting the classic error 19 and 22 when root is trying to mount. I have a HP model 110-414 Desktop that i attempted to load 9.3.1 on. I tried 9.2 and 9.1 as well to test would might work and didn't have any luck. All of these installations were conducted on a 16GB USB2.0 drive that I have. I saw on one of these forums that a member had luck loading Ubuntu first, then installing FreeNAS. I attempted that procedure, but was unable to find success. I have tried "ufs:/dev/ufs/da0" to mount to the thumb drive that I installed the OS on, but also was unable to find success. If anyone could provide some assistance, I would be much grateful as this install is kicking my balls in.

-B

cyberjock

Inactive Account
That thread only really applies for ZFS-based boot devices (at least, afaik).

If 9.1, 9.2, and 9.3 won't boot I'm guessing your hardware isn't compatible. You may be able to fix it with a BIOS setting change, but I wouldn't necessarily count on it. Can you boot from CD-ROM to a hard drive? At least you could prove that the system works, except with regards to USB.

That thread only really applies for ZFS-based boot devices (at least, afaik).

If 9.1, 9.2, and 9.3 won't boot I'm guessing your hardware isn't compatible. You may be able to fix it with a BIOS setting change, but I wouldn't necessarily count on it. Can you boot from CD-ROM to a hard drive? At least you could prove that the system works, except with regards to USB.

I can boot from my CD-ROM for installation, I'm not sure if that's what you're talking about. I used my CD drive to load the newest Ubuntu 14.04.3 which loaded successfully. Is there a specific version before 9 you recommend I attempt to text if it's a version compatibility issue?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Ubuntu is linux, which shares about 0% of its code with FreeBSD. So all that using Ubuntu does is prove that the hardware likely isn't broken horribly.

Can you boot from a FreeNAS 9.x CD on a CD-ROM and install to an internal hard drive? If so, can you then boot from said internal hard drive after installing onto it?

Ubuntu is linux, which shares about 0% of its code with FreeBSD. So all that using Ubuntu does is prove that the hardware likely isn't broken horribly.

Can you boot from a FreeNAS 9.x CD on a CD-ROM and install to an internal hard drive? If so, can you then boot from said internal hard drive after installing onto it?

I understand now. The only reason I installed Ubuntu first is because one user stated that it was the fix for the issue. I can boot the FreeNAS 9.3.1 CD from my CD-ROM drive and the install completes successfully. I'm not installing it to the internal drive as I only have one, instead I'm installing it to a USB thumb drive as suggested in the FreeNAS "how to" video. Once I get to the "mountroot>" prompt, I attempt to boot to the thumb drive, but get two different errors depending on the location I specify (i'm not sure of the actual location). The errors I get are error 19 with "ufs:/dev/ufs/da0" and error 22 with "ufs:/dev/dao". I'm not sure what the errors mean myself. Do you think I should try installing 9.3.1 to the internal hard drive just for test purposes?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Well, it's like this. You seem to not be able to boot from the install on USB. So that's out of the question, for now.

You are using AMD, and we recommend against AMD for a bunch of reasons, but the big one is compatibility.

Now you need to figure out if the OS can boot and run from an internal disk. if so, at least you know you can get it to work with another internal disk. If you can't, then your hardware just won't work and you need to get better hardware.

So the question is really about what configuration you'd be willing to work with, assuming you can get it to work. If running from an internal hard drive is out of the question, then your answer is obvious... find compatible hardware that you CAN do what you want.

Well, it's like this. You seem to not be able to boot from the install on USB. So that's out of the question, for now.

You are using AMD, and we recommend against AMD for a bunch of reasons, but the big one is compatibility.

Now you need to figure out if the OS can boot and run from an internal disk. if so, at least you know you can get it to work with another internal disk. If you can't, then your hardware just won't work and you need to get better hardware.

So the question is really about what configuration you'd be willing to work with, assuming you can get it to work. If running from an internal hard drive is out of the question, then your answer is obvious... find compatible hardware that you CAN do what you want.

Ok, understood. I honestly don't like this tower terribly, that's why I was willing to give that up to attempt the NAS on it. I will attempt to install 9.3.1 on the internal drive and see if I'm still having issues. Unfortunately, this was one of those 8GB RAM, 1TB Drive for $279 deals brand new. If I can install it on the internal drive, i'll probably explore adding a second small internal drive just for the OS install and call it a day. If this will not work at all, I will likely put this project on the back burner until I can build a machine for it. Do you recommend NewEgg for a machine build for NAS?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Ok, understood. I honestly don't like this tower terribly, that's why I was willing to give that up to attempt the NAS on it. I will attempt to install 9.3.1 on the internal drive and see if I'm still having issues. Unfortunately, this was one of those 8GB RAM, 1TB Drive for $279 deals brand new. If I can install it on the internal drive, i'll probably explore adding a second small internal drive just for the OS install and call it a day. If this will not work at all, I will likely put this project on the back burner until I can build a machine for it. Do you recommend NewEgg for a machine build for NAS?

Newegg is one of many options. I don't recommend particular retailers because it truly depends on where you live. Lots of places are not viable to go through Newegg, others Amazon.

Ebay all the way!!

Cuz I am cheap and willing to take risks with my money... :eek:

Hahahaha right, I built out the computer I wanted on new egg that I'm certain will work, it was $378 after taxes. That includes tower, board, PS, 8GB ram, (2) 1TB NAS drives, (1) 16GB SSD (for OS), and processor. If you guys would be interested in giving input on the product selection, I will send the list of items. Maybe you guys could tell me your opinion on where I could be making a mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.