SOLVED Mountroot> assistance needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrmacho22

Cadet
Ok all. I'm a noob here and to FreeNAS. I've spent my entire SUNDAY sitting in front of google and youtube trying to figure out whats going on.
First off let me apologize if I am asking for guidance in the wrong place.

My setup is a retired PC... hp400 workstation, 16gb of ram, dvd drive, 1-2tb drive, 3- 1tb drives.

The installation source used: burned 9.2.1.9 on a dvd and installed freeNas from cd to 16gb sandisk thumb drive (alternate attempts: downloaded the usb img and installed to usb via win32diskimager)

The problem: It seem that no matter which approach i take to install the OS i get the "mountroot>" command. I've attempted numerous
Code:
ufs:/dev/da0
commands and I am still at square one. The error messages on the machine are as follow
Code:
 GEOM : da0 the primary GPT table is corrupt or invalid
 GEOM:da0: using the secondary  instead....
Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/ufs/FreeNASs1a [ro]... 
Mounting from ufs:/dev/ufs/FreeNASs1a failed with error 19. 

When I type
Code:
 mountroot>  ? 
I get the following
Code:
 List of GEOM managed disk devices: gptid/8bc905............. da0p1 msdosfs/  da0 cd0 ada3 ada2 ada1 ada0 

Any guidance will be very helpful and extremely appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

jrmacho22

Cadet
ok all I've FINALLY got this figured out. It was a rather simple fix. I cant believe that thoughout my search all day (12hrs) no one had an answer on how to fix this. I formatted all the drives numerous times with no success. Until i found GDISK!!!

I hope this can help someone in the future having the same issues.

Heres how it was done. I loaded up ubuntu from a live cd, opened up "gdisk" from a terminal window and followed the instructions I found on askubuntu
Code:
X=your drive for me it was sda, sdb, sdc etc

sudo gdisk /dev/sdX
It will prompt you to select the partition:

Found valid MBR and GPT. Which do you want to use?
1 - MBR
2 - GPT
3 - Create blank GPT

Select the GPT one. In my case, 2. Use the ? command to print the command list. Enter x for expert options, then z to zap the GPT table and all the data on the disc:

Command (? for help): x

Expert command (? for help): z
About to wipe out GPT on /dev/sdx. Proceed? (Y/N): y
GPT data structures destroyed! You may now partition the disk using fdisk or
other utilities.
Blank out MBR? (Y/N): y

Basically Delete the GPT off each drive including the thumb drive, format, and voila! A fresh install of FreeNAS and we are in business. I was hoping to explore what freenas has to offer today but unfortunately my day as come to an end. I will spend tomorrow afternoon tinkering, finding my way around, and attempting to setup the volumes and plugins etc.

Thanks

Colonel_Korg

Dabbler
For what ever reason, the thumb drive get it's partitions corrupted during the install procedure. GDISK reports that the partitions are corrupted and I tried to recover them but that just wipes the thumb drive of the install.

I tried doing the install in a different machine. Same exact issue.

The checksum's on the image files match .

I have tried 9.3 and 9.2.1.9.

Tried three different thumb drives from three different manufacturers.

Should I drop back to 9.2.1.8 or earlier?

Korg

Status
Not open for further replies.