SOLVED Reading damaged USB boot drive - dd to a file, help reading zpool

talz13

Dabbler
I had my second USB boot drive die in one of my servers, and am trying to recover my freenas config. Of course it has been too long since the last backup, but I did boot my desktop to an ubuntu live usb, and was able to dd the entire contents of the 128gb freenas boot drive to a file on my external HDD. Now I'm trying to access the zpool from this image file, and cannot figure it out. I'm not sure if the original boot drive is completely dead, but this last time I booted to ubuntu live usb, I couldn't get zfs list or zpool list to show anything for the usb drive.

I've finally decided on a use for my 2x intel DC s3700 ssd's, and that is to be a mirrored pool for installing freenas on, so I can hopefully end this horrible streak of dying flash drives. At least, it's a better use for the pair of ssd's than using them for slog or l2arc like I had originally intended.

So what are my options, if any, to attempt mounting this old USB drive on my freshly installed freenas server to try to recover the db file, or is there any way to mount my usb image file on my ubuntu live usb to try to copy the file out of there?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Your config file gets saved to the system dataset which should be in your pool. So it's auto backup.

talz13

Dabbler
Your config file gets saved to the system dataset which should be in your pool. So it's auto backup.
Good to know! I got the db file recovered and uploaded to my fresh install, and everything looks like it's back to normal on my new ssd mirrored boot volume.