Recovery options

Status
Not open for further replies.

sboutros

Dabbler
Ok, disclaimer.... I am an idiot for not having better practices, please resist the urge to flame me.

Situation:
Freenas 11.2, New build, shuffling, consolidating, organizing, etc onto the new system.
I plugged in an external USB disk, expecting it to mount on the new system. It didn't and like an idiot, I accidentally hit 'Add volume' in the Vol Mgr, despite the red warning text and wiped out the data set. I had tried import but it was not showing up there...

It's an external USB drive, single vol, entire disk. As I said (my stupidity) I thought I was importing an attached USB drive but actually created a new volume out of it.

In hopes of recovery, I quickly powered down FreeNAS. Plugged the USB disk into MacOS and imaged the drive with TestDisk so now i have a 5TB image (dd file).
Prior to running TestDisk I did run PhotoRec briefly and it did recover some files, so I have some hope I may be able to recover the file system.
Any advice for a semi newbie/idiot on what to do next with the dd file to try and recover as much as possible?

kdragon75

Wizard
Well 90% of your data will be there but will be unusable because the file system that tracked where the files were stored is now gone. Imagen take every page from every book in the library and ripping them out and shuffling them into one big pile. Its all still there but mostly unusable.

kdragon75

Wizard
You best bet is photorec. For the photos, you can generally use the image metadata to sort things out by date/camera/etc.

SynbiosVyse

Dabbler
What was the filesystem of the disk that you are trying to recover from?

I have had quite success with Recuva on NTFS and EXT3 and EXT4 drives. https://www.ccleaner.com/recuva/download

I'm trying to remember if I recovered from an XFS drive before too and I think yes..

I don't know of any tools that recover a ZFS drive though.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Status
Not open for further replies.