Read Write Permissions on Dataset for Docker Container

simplyseth

Cadet
To grant Read/Write access to a dataset from a docker container, is it simply just a matter of granting Read/Write to root or is there something else?

I'm trying to grant Read / Write from my Plex container to pre-existing datasets

ClassicGOD

Contributor
It depends on what user the container creator decided that the inside app will run at. For standard docker it's often root but if you are asking about the official Plex app then it uses UID and GID of 1000. 1000 usually is the UID of first "normal" user created if you didn't change the UID/group during creation. So if you make sure that this user has r/w access so should Plex.

simplyseth

Cadet
It depends on what user the container creator decided that the inside app will run at. For standard docker it's often root but if you are asking about the official Plex app then it uses UID and GID of 1000. 1000 usually is the UID of first "normal" user created if you didn't change the UID/group during creation. So if you make sure that this user has r/w access so should Plex.
Plex user runs as UID/GID 1000 so I chowned the files in the dataset and all is well.
Thanks.