Read/write performance is under 7MB/s, what can i do ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrainWizard

Dabbler
Hi,
i`m new in freeNAS, and i just set up a complete new system with freeNAS Version FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201501162230.

I have tried many settings, but i can`t find a way, how i can optimize the troughput over the network of my freeNAS server.

What can i do ?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
You can start by telling us your hardware, pool layout, etc.

BrainWizard

Dabbler
The Hardware is as follows:

AsRock Z97 Pro4

Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1225 v3 @ 3.20GHz

16GB RAM DDR3 2133MHz

500GB HDD for freeNAS

for testing assembled with just one pool with 1 HDD, 3TB

freeNAS version installed: FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201501162230

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The Intel i218V isn't really supported under FreeNAS/FreeBSD. Additionally, driver support for i218s in general might still be flaky under FreeBSD.ºº

It could also be a failing drive.

That said, I find it rather odd that you've paired a Xeon with a motherboard that doesn't support ECC and non-ECC RAM.

BrainWizard

Dabbler
Sorry, that i post that "flaky" <g>

But i`m neurologically sick and my english is a bit bad.

But i'm sure the Drive isn`t failing, because i used the drive in a qnap 410, which gave me a troghput of 10MB/s.

stefanb

Patron
Did you check the smart status?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Well,

i use a Xeon, because i want the AES Encrytion supported on the Hardware side.

You mean like all socketed Haswell Core i5s?

Look, I don't know what you're aiming for, but you're implying you bought all this hardware specifically for this server. I'm afraid that you chose very poorly, if that is the case.

At best, this is a bad hard drive and, after ensuring a stable storage subsystem, you're left with a system that can eat your data at any moment (We don't recommend ECC just because, we've seen people lose all their data because of RAM problems).

An intermediate case is an unsupported GbE controller, which means you'd need to buy a PCI-e Intel GbE controller - and you still end up with no ECC.

The worst case is that it won't work at all due to some random incompatibility with something on the motherboard.

Sorry, that i post that "flaky" <g>

But i`m neurologically sick and my english is a bit bad.

But i'm sure the Drive isn`t failing, because i used the drive in a qnap 410, which gave me a troghput of 10MB/s.

10MB/s is very slow. What's the output of smartctl -a /dev/adawhatever for the data drive?

BrainWizard

Dabbler
Sorry, i cant copy the output in the shell to the post window...

But it says no errors.

i habe a Intel Gbe Comtroller onboard.

BrainWizard

Dabbler
In all, i'm an ex PC Professional, who is not gone with the computertime....but i dont thnk the problem is in the system as more there is a bottleneck somewhere.

the Qnap 410 has just an 800MHz CPU and 256MB ram, so 10MB/s are not that bad i think.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Use dd to test your pool speed and iperf to check your network speed. 7-10MB/s is basically the same speed. You should be looking for numbers around 100MB/s when transferring over the network. Are you using WiFi? What client machine are you using to transfer the data?

Also you hardware is a terrible choice but you started this thread trying to figure out performance not to get bashed, so I'll leave it at that.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
First start by not using WiFi. Get an Ethernet cable before you start testing performance of your nas.

stefanb

Patron
Hi, dd commands to test hdd performance:

write: dd if=/dev/zero of=/mnt/POOLNAME/ddfile.tmp bs=2048k count=10000
read: dd of=/dev/zero if=/mnt/POOLNAME/ddfile.tmp bs=2048k count=10000

stefanb

Patron
If you use the web-frontend cli, select the stop refresh checkbox, then you can mark and copy the results.

BrainWizard

Dabbler
Ok, i connected my notebook with a cable to the router, there i get a troghput at first of 100MB/s, which goes down to 60MB/s

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Hi, dd commands to test hdd performance:

write: dd if=/dev/zero of=/mnt/POOLNAME/ddfile.tmp bs=2048k count=10000
read: dd of=/dev/zero if=/mnt/POOLNAME/ddfile.tmp bs=2048k count=10000
your read 'of' is incorrect it should be /dev/null.

Example:
read: dd of=/dev/null if=/mnt/POOLNAME/ddfile.tmp bs=2048k count=1000

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Ok, i connected my notebook with a cable to the router, there i get a troghput at first of 100MB/s, which goes down to 60MB/s
So these numbers are much better. Your wifi is the problem, fix that and your speeds look fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.