BUILD Rate my build!

Status
Not open for further replies.

needo

Dabbler
Been doing a lot of reading and research and I think I have come up with a decent build. I already have 3xM1015s, a 24 bay rackmount case, a 750W power supply. I just need to upgrade my Motherboard/CPU/RAM as my existing infrastructure is not ECC. I want to be future-proof so here is what I have come up with.

Motherboard: Supermicro X10SRL-F
CPU: Xeon E5-1620V3
RAM: 16GB of ECC RAM certified by Supermicro (Contemplating bumping it up to 32GB) I want to be able to stay close to the 1GB per 1TB range and this allows me to bump it up to 64GB rather quickly and grow with my vDevs.
UPS: Already in use.

Disk Configuration: 3 vDevs with 8 drives each in a RAIDZ2 configuration. The first vDev will be 8x6TB Western Digital Reds. The second vDev will be 8x3TB Seagate 3TB drives and I will be replacing those with 6TB WD Reds slowly over time. So I will be walking in with 54TB useable space. (Will be transferring my existing NAS which as 36TB full over, and this gives me some breathing/growth room.)

Primary use will be Plex and transcoding.

What do you all think?

Thank you!

cyberjock

Inactive Account
0/10. 0%, fail
Actually, to be honest with that much disk space I'd go straight to 32GB of RAM. You are "likely" to find that 32GB will be good enough for your function for quite a while. I would definitely consider going with 2x16GB DIMMs though to provide for more expansion in the future. Pretty sure that motherboard will work with 2 DIMMs. Don't worry about not using all 4 memory channels. The number of channels you use isn't as important as how much RAM you use. ;)

Other than that, looks pretty good. All stuff from the hardware recommendations sticky.

Status
Not open for further replies.