Please rate this setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schaeffer

Cadet
Hi,
I decided to change my NAS setup to something brand new, I made very wrong choices hardware wise with the previous setup: so now I'm here to seek advise BEFORE purchasing anything.
Now that is what I'm planning:
2 Raid-Z2 pools with 12 4TB hard drives each: 12 drive for Raid-Z2 is what seems to be the most optimised
Now hardware-wise:
-Supermicro SC846BE16-R920B: 24 bay 4U chassis with 920W platinum redundant PSU
http://www.supermicro.nl/products/chassis/4u/846/sc846be16-r920.cfm
-Supermicro X10SLL-S
http://www.supermicro.nl/products/motherboard/xeon/c220/x10sll-s.cfm
-Intel Xeon E3-1220v3 3.1Ghz
-2x 8Gb ECC unbuffered 1600Mhz Supermicro certified
Now for HBA controller:
-IBM ServeRaid M1015 crossflashed to IT mode
-Intel SAS Expander RES2V240 to reach 24 SATA ports
For the drives I will start with 12 drives then populate to 24 later
-Seagate Red/NAS drives, 4TB

What are you thinking about my setup? Thank you very much!

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Hardware looks great. Depending on situation, you may need mord ram. How will the server be used? It may be a better idea to do three 8 disk RAIDZ2 vdevs

Last edited:

Schaeffer

Cadet
Thanks.
As I said earlier, for the time being I plan to only populate 12 drives. I had in mind to populate more RAM slots when I will populate more drives to reach 32Gb for 96Tb raw storage.
The server won't be used 24/24, I prefer data integrity to availability: the purpose of the setup is to be something like a "personal data time capsule", to store all the data I own to one place and access it when I need to. You would think it is a bit overkill but I already filled 28Tb of data with previous setup.

My principal concern is about the HBA choice: on my previous setup I made terrible choice and don't want to do it again

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Thanks.
As I said earlier, for the time being I plan to only populate 12 drives. I had in mind to populate more RAM slots when I will populate more drives to reach 32Gb for 96Tb raw storage.
The server won't be used 24/24, I prefer data integrity to availability: the purpose of the setup is to be something like a "personal data time capsule", to store all the data I own to one place and access it when I need to. You would think it is a bit overkill but I already filled 28Tb of data with previous setup.

My principal concern is about the HBA choice: on my previous setup I made terrible choice and don't want to do it again

You can't populate any more RAM slots because that motherboard doesn't have any!
You'd need an X10SLL-F, which has four slots, or another, higher end motherboard.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
12 disks in a RAIDZ2 is too wide. You're going to potentially have performance problems. I'd do 8 disk RAIDZ2s.

Status
Not open for further replies.