SOLVED Raspberry Pi Desktop VM Problem

Alpha-Inc.

Dabbler
Hello everybody,

I recently installed Raspberry Pi OS Desktop as a VM on my FreeNAS 11.2 System. After the Installation of the OS, I was stuck in the UEFI Shell (See #1).
Via the GUI i managed to boot the OS by selecting the grubx64.efi file from the disk but after I selected Debian I just get a blank screen (See #2).

So is this a bug in bhyve which has a workaround or is my CPU / System just not powerful enough to run the VM ? (I have a Intel Atom C3955 CPU with 128 Gigs of ECC RAM).

Attachments

• #1.png
    #1.png
    332 KB · Views: 300
  • #2.png
    #2.png
    41 KB · Views: 322

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
So is this a bug in bhyve which has a workaround or is my CPU / System just not powerful enough to run the VM ?
Not so much a question of power as architecture.

The Pi OS variant of debian is compiled for ARM 32 or 64 bit chips.

I have a Intel Atom C3955 CPU
You are running an AMD 64 architecture, so can't run that OS as a result.

You might want to look into the DietPi project (https://dietpi.com/), which makes a variant available for AMD 64 architecture (under PC/VM in the downloads).

Alpha-Inc.

Dabbler
Okay I'l take a look at it, thanks.
But one question, if i might add this, the same ISO of Pi OS Desktop can be run in a VM on my Windows and macOS Machine perfectly fine. They also have x64-86 architecture, so why is it possible on there (Running VirtualBox)?

sretalla