RAM requirements for plugins? (Mainly Plex)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nick779

Contributor
Hello all,

I know that FreeNAS now recommends 8GB minimum for using ZFS, but there isnt much explanation that I have found so far of the RAM requirements of different plugins.

I did some searching regarding this topic, but didnt really find any clear cut answers, only this one:

Theres a thread where Cyberjock briefly mentions that Plex can use 1-2GB at IDLE, and not while its even in use. Has anyone had any other experience or do we have a listing of RAM recommendations im missing?

Im building a small NAS, 4-6x 1TB Z2 and was only planning on getting an 8GB stick since I wont really have a ton of free space. Plex shouldnt have to transcode anything because all of my files are MP4s with the occasional MKV, and were only streaming to a single device.

Will 8GB be enough? Im trying to keep this a rather budget minded build.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
So here's why the requirements aren't listed:

1. The plugins aren't officially sanctioned by iXsystems. Most are made by the community and iXsystems simply makes the plugin available via the app-cafe.
2. The plugins aren't maintained by iXsystems. The requirements for Plex could double tomorrow due to an update and we don't want to be responsible for the outdated data.
3. Plugins will use RAM based on its usage. If you've got 5 movies I'm betting Plex would use less than 1-2GB of RAM. If you are streaming 5 movies simultaneously then you'll need more RAM than a Plex server that is idle.

In short, it's not documented here because that's not our realm. The plugins and jails are nothing more than environments for you do to *anything* you want. It's up to you, as the owner of the jail, to decide how much hardware it needs, how to maintain the jail safe from security vulnerabilities, etc. If you can't handle these responsibilities you probably shouldn't be using the feature. ;)

nick779

Contributor
So here's why the requirements aren't listed:

1. The plugins aren't officially sanctioned by iXsystems. Most are made by the community and iXsystems simply makes the plugin available via the app-cafe.
2. The plugins aren't maintained by iXsystems. The requirements for Plex could double tomorrow due to an update and we don't want to be responsible for the outdated data.
3. Plugins will use RAM based on its usage. If you've got 5 movies I'm betting Plex would use less than 1-2GB of RAM. If you are streaming 5 movies simultaneously then you'll need more RAM than a Plex server that is idle.

In short, it's not documented here because that's not our realm. The plugins and jails are nothing more than environments for you do to *anything* you want. It's up to you, as the owner of the jail, to decide how much hardware it needs, how to maintain the jail safe from security vulnerabilities, etc. If you can't handle these responsibilities you probably shouldn't be using the feature. ;)

Fair enough

Status
Not open for further replies.