Plugins stopping after 24 hours

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sup3rNerdy

Cadet
Hi,

I run a small freenas as a home project so it doesn't meet all best practises. My setup is a HP microserver N40l I think (can't rememberemember and I'm lazy) with 8GB non ecc RAM and the stock AMD Turton processor with 3 1tb drives.

I have been running this since May with only teething issues but mostly causedue by me learning freenas on the go at the same time but since the last update I've noticed my plugins stop workig randomly. Not all plugins do it all the time but usually 2 go down at once and restarting their jails will fix the problem for another 24 hours and then he next day another plugins fails.

I was initially thinking memory leak but everything looks fine in the specs, memory isnt having contention issues and swap space isn't being used. The plugins are Plex, couch potato, sonarr and sabnz. Anyone got any ideas as I'm stumped.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Need more information...

What version of FreeNAS? Are these actual plugins or jails with manually installed software? How full are your drives, do they have enough space to do what they need to do? Maybe you have a RAM issue, or you are running out of SWAP space.

Some troubleshooting steps I'd do, not knowing more about your setup are:
1) Turn off all plugins and run the system for 48 hours, ensure all is working.
2) Turn on a single plugin/jail and let it run for 48 hours, evaluate the situation.
3) Repeat step 2 until you either have a failure or all plugins are back on.

Eventually you are apt to find something which triggers the issue.

Other things I'd try are:
1) Memtest86 and run it for 48 hours at a minimum.
2) CPU Stress Test and run it for 20 minutes.

-Good Luck

Sup3rNerdy

Cadet
The Freenas build is 9.10.1 and the plugins are the stock standard packaged ones with in the build. Drives have over 50% free so no space issues and swap space isnt being used. I will get memtest on there to run but what made me curious originally is this problem only started to occur after the last updates (a week or two ago).

I'll also start testing the plugins as you suggested.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Sometimes an update can cause issues with plugins. Seen it before.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
That's a lot of plugins to be running on 8GB of RAM.

joeschmuck

Old Man

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
My test rig before I got serious with FreeNAS used to crash plugins without hitting swap at all. They would just stop without warning and would not restart from the GUI at all without a reboot.

ETA: I personally think @Sup3rNerdy that you're asking way too much of this server. It's a very low spec machine that would be better suited to just basic filer duties and nothing more. But that's just my opinion.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.