Ram for ZFS, etc

jeremyoha450

Dabbler
Hi Guys

I'm currently in the progress of building a new server (switching from windows server 2019 spaces to Truenas)
info out there for truenas ram requirements are different no matter where you look

i'm looking at setting up a raidz1 with 8 x 8tb ironwolf drives
(i know the risks of raidz1 hence why i'll have a backup backup server)
i've ran raid for many years with no dramas so i'm comfortable with it

i'm looking at installing 64GB of ram. and going by info i've read frist 8gb does the first 24tb. then 1gb for each 1Tb from there. i worked out i would need 48gb of ram for the raid.

is this correct? and is the rule to raw drive capcity 8 x 8tb or after the raid is setup?

i'll be using a intel 11th gen i5-11600 CPU

regards
Jeremy

ChrisRJ

Wizard
This rule has two "parts". First the essential, which means that ignoring it might (not will) cause stability issues up to the point of data loss. That is usually the range of 8 GB (never go below that) and 16-32 GB; the latter comes into play when the storage capacity is no too small. And it is somewhat floating depending on storage capacity, performance requirements and workload characteristics, and things like jails and VMs.

All in all, you should be fine unless you plan to run too many VMs/jails or have very specific performance requirements.

jeremyoha450

Dabbler
as long as i hit 100mb/sec or better transfer speeds i'll be happy.

i plan to run a few vm's but wouldnt consume no more then 12gb ram. so still 52gb ram spare for the zfs.

sretalla