Need some rebuild help please, is this CPU good enough?

Coolamasta

Dabbler
Hi All,

I need to re-build my NAS onto new hardware (currently running TrueNAS as a VMware VM with 8 cores & 48GB RAM) and I have the below hardware to hand, just wanting to know will it be enough for what I need, am little worried CPU speed may be a bit low as older CPU's im using now are 2.8ghz but would it matter in my usage case?

• Supermicro board (cant remember model)
  • Xeon E5-2620 V4 (2.1ghz & 3.0ghz boost, 8 core, 16 thread)
  • 64GB DDR-4 ECC RAM
  • Dual 10Gig NIC, 1 for LAN, 1 for iSCSI
  • LSI 16 port HBA
  • 8 x 8TB in Raid Z2
  • 4 x 4TB in Raid Z1

I run 4 x SMB file shares on there and 3 x iSCSI Extents mainly for VM's, SMB isn't too heavily used, its a home set up so will be mainly media streaming and general file sharing.

I hear higher CPU clock used to be better for SMB (assume this is still the case?) but in real world on a home setup with not massive SMB going on, will 2.1ghz really be much of an issue? Does iSCSI Extents prefer higher clock speed or threads?

If I really should be looking at a better CPU, what would you suggest but need to find best performance vs power usage as one of the main reasons for rebuilding is the older dual CPU 40-thread server im using is just too power hungry and noisy!

Thanks in advance of any help :smile:

DigitalMinimalist

Contributor
Well balanced built - you might upgrade to 128GB RAM and add some SSD storage for VMs, but looks good the E5 2xxx v4 series is a great bang for the buck

Coolamasta

Dabbler
Well balanced built - you might upgrade to 128GB RAM and add some SSD storage for VMs, but looks good the E5 2xxx v4 series is a great bang for the buck

Cheers for the reply, upping the RAM is a good option later on, was hoping for some confirmation on CPU clock speed etc for SMB/iSCSI etc, is anyone able to confirm whether the E5-2620 v4 will be good enough with my questions above?

ChrisRJ

Wizard
just wanting to know will it be enough for what I need, am little worried CPU speed may be a bit low as older CPU's im using now are 2.8ghz but would it matter in my usage case?
You should provide a lot more information about your use-case then.

How is the current setup falling short of expectations?

Coolamasta

Dabbler
You should provide a lot more information about your use-case then.

How is the current setup falling short of expectations?
Current set up performs fine, as I say above TreNAS is running as a VMware VM with a HBA passed through for drives but main reason to change it is the cost/power/heat/noise the current server makes so the ideal is to have a separate TrueNAS machine and downgrade my VMware host.

What other info would be helpful, as I say above I run 4 x SMB shares and 3 x iSCSI Extents, SMB shares are mainly just for file storage and media streaming with Plex. iSCSI is mainly for VMware host to hold couple datastores for VM's, nothing demanding using loads of I/O.

I know everything else will be fine, its really whether the CPU I have is up the the job, going from virtual 2.8ghz cores to physical 2.1ghz cores, would SMB or iSCSI suffer a noticeable performance hit from losing 700mhz a core?