BUILD Ram and Chassis advices

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fiatt

Dabbler
Hi all,

I read the hardware recommandation and other posts but i still need some help for the final build. My project is to have access to the data from anywhere (local network and internet), at anytime. It's not a lot of data but it's important data, from customers, so i need performance and data safety (secure? sorry, english is not my first language).

What i've decided:
- Motherboard: X9SCM-F
- CPU: Xeon E3-1230V2 ( in french )

RAM:
Here is what SuperMicro tell: http://www.supermicro.com/support/r...18BD650E3EC19339&prid=0&type=0&ecc=0®=0&fbd=0
But i can't find any of the 3 listed RAM, 8Gb, 1333Mhz. So any alternative? Or at least do you know a website that sell this stuff and can send it to France? Actually, all the stuff isn't easy to find in french shops...

PSU:
I don't have look a lot for it yet because i want to find the chassis first, not to have to do it twice if the PSU don't fit the chassis.

CHASSIS:
I don't need a lot of drives because as i told, there will not have many data (no more than 1 or 2 To i think, but it can change) but it will be very important data, from customers. So i think uATX will be better than mini ITX, no? And the motherboard i choosed is uATX :)
As i don't want the cheapest chassis but not necesseraly the most expensive one, maybe you can help me. Money is not a problem but i don't want to waste it in stuff i've randomly choosen.

Thanks!

Fiatt

Dabbler
I made a few more search and i can refine the stuff (french links):

Motherboard : SuperMicro MBD-X9SCM-F-O (Intel C204) 230€ with 2 fans included: 1x1200RPM front and 1x1000RPM on top (3 slots available). Need more?
Chassis: Fractal Arc Mini R2 85€
CPU: Xeon E3-1230V2 240€ Do i need a better Fan than the default one?
Power: Seasonic G-550 80+G 105€
RAM: i still need some advice because i don't want kingston and i haven't find Hynix yet. Let's put 200€ for 2x8G Ram

So it's a 860€ build, without HDD. What do you think?

Fraoch

Patron
If you went with a SuperMicro X10 board and a v3 Xeon you could go with Crucial RAM. See https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...or-supermicro-x10-lga1150-motherboards.23291/ You can order Crucial memory directly from Crucial in Euros, delivered to France et en français:

http://www.crucial.fr/fra/fr

Crucial = Micron. Unfortunately when SuperMicro lists Crucial memory, they give the Micron part number. You may be able to translate the bare Micron memory module part number into a retail part number from Crucial using Google but they make it difficult - Crucial lists two part numbers, some sort of internal number and a retail part number. @Ericloewe has sorted this out for you with SuperMicro X10 boards. For the X9 boards you might want to try Crucial's compatibility tool:

http://www.crucial.fr/fra/fr/memoire-compatible-pour/Supermicro/x9scm-f

If they list something here, it is guaranteed compatible - you can return it if it doesn't work.

The stock fan that comes with the CPU is fine. I only replaced mine because it was a little noisy since my motherboard was running it unnecessarily high.

Everything else looks good. Bonne chance!

Fiatt

Dabbler
Thanks Fraoch.

I looked your link to the compability list of crucial RAM and something is confusing me.

The spec of the card MBD-X9SCM-F-O (Intel C204) is as follow:
PC3-8500 - DDR3 1066 MHz, PC3-10600 - DDR3 1333 MHz, PC3-6400 - DDR3 800 MHz

Crucial list 8500 but no 10600 nor 6400. No problem with that, than can't have all models. But they list others frequencies: 12800 and 14900!

I noticed the little difference between my card's model and Crucial one's: Crucial is the -F and mine is -F-O
Maybe that's why the speed's ram aren't the same?

So i think i should take the 8500 RAM cause it fit the two cards and maybe the difference between 8500 and others ram is not so important? But if for some badluck i have issues because of the RAM, maybe Crucial will tell me: Hey guy, it's not the same card model!

[EDIT] i've looked on SuperMicro site and there is no -F-O model, only -F. So maybe it's a "european" name? I think some brands (not necesseraly computer stuff) change a bit the name for each continent.

And i found some people on this forum who run this these card (-O) but with Kingston 1600??? So i looked again on SuperMicro and it's saying 1333/1600MHz*** ECC DDR3 SDRAM 72-bit, 240-pin gold-plated DIMMs...

So the french description is wrong or the model is not the same... I feel a little F*** U growing...

Last edited:

Fiatt

Dabbler
I've found the -O explanation:

"The -O at the end of Supermicro model numbers just denotes it's the Retail SKU. -B is for the Bulk SKU." from Ericloewe

So that solve my RAM dilemma. Let's rock for Crucial 16GB kit (8GBx2) DDR3 PC3-12800 Unbuffered ECC 1.5V 1024Meg x 72 CT2570593 !

I've found the card on NewEgg really cheaper than on the french site LDLC: 170$ (137€), that's 100€ saved!! But no shipping to France... I'm wondering if i better not buy on amazon.

Fraoch

Patron

Fiatt

Dabbler
Yes, you're right.

I choosed the X9 because it was recommended on the pinned topic and it fit my purpose (ram capacity, general performance, INPI) Honestly i don't have the skill to choose a card so i prefer take a recommended one, that has been used for quite a long time. And i founded it on some french sites :)

As far as i know, server motherboards are not so easy to find in France unless buying on Amazon. I'd prefer a more "specialized" seller. I ran a test just now with your own card Supermicro X10SLM-F, and only "marketers" (little sellers on amazon or ebay etc) have it. So i'm not sure if i can trust them, or if the card is not a chinese copy. Unless you know a seller that ship to France, i don't have much choice...

But i'm open for any ideas :)

Last edited:

jgreco

Resident Grinch
There's not a huge amount of difference between the X9 and the X10 from a NAS point of view. The X10's marginally better in some ways.

Fiatt

Dabbler
Thanks guys. I won't buy my stuff today, i need to study a bit ZFS before that for choosing the amount of drives and their capacity. Thanks again.

Fiatt

Dabbler
Thanks Le Passant. I saw it, but not in stock, 15 days. That may means an undeterminate date.

As i said i won't buy on the next few days, so i'll reconsider then.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
amazon.de typically has a good selection, even when it comes to somewhat more exotic stuff like Supermicro.

Shipping to Portugal has always worked well, so it should work well for France.

Status
Not open for further replies.