RAIDz2 x 2 (ie RAID60) when and why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cronsloth

Cadet
Just started at a new studio, and I got to inherit the previous admins config decisions. (great :p) I was told we had 8 disks in RAIDz2, but when I did the math, we were sitting about about 1/2 the usable space that I was expecting to see. Due to the space restriction, the admin also disabled snapshots since he thought there wasn't enough space to spare..

So anyways, I finally got the time to dig into it, and found something interesting.

I'm trying to wrap my brain around why this config was chosen over something else. I would love any input or opinion on the matter, or if there is something I'm unaware of that is extra beneficial about this RAID config I'm all ears... I'm sure there was a reason, but I'm not sure if it still applies. So before thinking about changing anything I wanted more opinions of smarter people than me ;).

As a background on workload, we use Autodesk products (Maya, 3DsMax, etc), which can decently be read/write heavy, and may use some compositing software in the future. We will eventually have around 50 users hitting the server at any given time. Which is what spawned my curiosity about performance vs redundancy.

So we have an 8-disk array populated with 6TB drives (5.4TB usable) = 43.2TB total usable

The current pool config is this:

Code:

pool: home
 state: ONLINE
config:

NAME											STATE	
		home											ONLINE	
		  raidz2-0									 ONLINE	
			gptid/626c4aa8-aa92-11e6-8f61-00259058a2ce  ONLINE	
			gptid/828aab96-a9bd-11e6-afa2-00259058a2ce  ONLINE	  
			gptid/0a503125-a898-11e6-8a89-00259058a2ce  ONLINE	
			gptid/f915be70-ab61-11e6-a3f5-00259058a2ce	 ONLINE	
		  raidz2-1									  ONLINE	
			gptid/dfb3ecea-ac89-11e6-8582-00259058a2ce   ONLINE	
			gptid/3d590c22-ac25-11e6-8beb-00259058a2ce  ONLINE	  
			gptid/4990c399-aaec-11e6-b21c-00259058a2ce  ONLINE	
			gptid/05d19174-a90f-11e6-c40d-00259058a2ce  ONLINE	

df -h results in:

home													  20T	 14T	6.8T	67%	/mnt/home

A bit of googling made me realize something.
Instead of a typical RAIDZ2 where all disks are part of the same vdev, and you have that 2 disk parity...the current pool config is split into 2 vdevs with EACH vdev configured in a RAIDz2 parity, so essentially a RAID60.

This means each vdev has only 10.8TB usable (5.4TB x 2 lost for parity within the vdev). So you combine those together in the pool, and get about ~21TB usable which is exactly where we are.

Consequences of this are performance based mostly but storage usable is also no small concern.

I found a website that did some throughput tests and his results showed this config being dead last in the race for faster throughput (which would make sense with all that parity needing to be calculated).

This config is aptly called "RAIDZ2 x 2" in his write-up (which is really good to read for understanding)

ZFS RAID Performance Comparisons

I guess the question is:
Is this 'RAIDz2 X 2' really the best way to strike a nice balance between redundancy AND performance.
Also, if someone wanted to link me or take the time to explain performance differences with having multiple vdevs in a pool. And
Do you get better performance from 2 vdevs of 4 disks (combined into a single pool) vs a pool with 1 vdev of 8?

What are some of the ways multiple vdevs can be used to support multiple artist workloads and throughput needs, and what are recommendations for scaling?
For example: I heard at one point a guy make a comparison rule of having about 2 to 3 disks per artist (to handle workload),
then breaking those up into multiple vdevs of 9 disks per pool with z2 parity.

Thanks!

Do you get better performance from 2 vdevs of 4 disks (combined into a single pool) vs a pool with 1 vdev of 8?

Yes. Each VDEV is, effectively, a spindle. More spindles, more bandwidth AND more IOPS.

Moving from RAIDZ2 x 2 to a strip of mirrors would give you double performance (both bandwidth and IOPS), provide the same amount of storage and, arguably, no less redundancy.

How is your performance now? Good? Bad? Adequate?

Cheers,
Matt

Last edited:
A 4 vDev wide set of mirrors will have the same space as a 2 vDev wide four drive RaidZ2. Same capacity one will be faster than the other yes but the trade off is single disk redundancy on each vDev for the mirrors whereas you have two disk redundancy on the RaidZ2. On the initial setup adding 4 more disks to each pool so that each vDev now has two disk redundancy you have added no space to the mirrors but doubled your space on the RaidZ2. Now they have equal redundancy but one has half as much space but is faster.

Put another way you have to figure out what exactly you need in your pool, performance, redundacy or capacity and build out accordingly. You could take all those drives and just stripe them together for even more performance but at a much higher risk. I would also say that the article you mention looks at just one use case.... This one looks at MUCH more https://calomel.org/zfs_raid_speed_capacity.html

Status
Not open for further replies.