RAIDZ Array Failing At Odd Times

Status
Not open for further replies.

JD Williams

Cadet
I've been running FreeNAS for 5 or 6 years, so this is not new hardware. I did, however, just upgrade to 9.10 (from 9.3) yesterday. I do not know if this issue was present under 9.3.

I installed the Emby plugin, went through the setup wizard, and then tried to update the guide data from schedules direct. It runs for several minutes and then my raidz array becomes degraded with a disk removed (seemingly at random, ie, it's not always the same disk). At this point if I let it run a little longer, another disk will be removed and it fails entirely, and I have to reboot. After rebooting everything is fine again.

I've tried to replicate the issue in other ways, but can't seem to do it. The emby library scan seems to work okay, plex scan works fine, I've transferred huge files to it over the network... only the emby tv guide update seems to make it crash. I suspect this process is causing some intensive disk IO that my raid array can't handle.

I've attached a debug report from the last time it happened. I'd appreciate any help as I'm at a loss right now.

Attachments

• debug-freenas-20160830105157.tgz
    1 MB · Views: 195
Last edited by a moderator:

Nick2253

Wizard

JD Williams

Cadet
@Nick2253 Ah, sure... sorry about that.

AMD Athlon II x3
ASUS M4A78LT-M AM3 AMD 760G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
16GB DDR3 SDRam
Highpoint Rocketraid 2720SGL
8 x 2TB Hard Drives

Freenas build is FreeNAS-9.10.1 (d989edd)

Nick2253

Wizard
I'm thinking that it might be because of your RAID card. As I recall, there are problems with the Highpoint RocketRAID cards and FreeNAS.

JD Williams

Cadet
I decided to install 9.3-STABLE, and make sure the issue was also present on that version. My jails got mucked up along the way so I wound up doing a factory reset from the GUI. After that I installed emby and it's working fine. So, either there was a setting in my config messing things up, which I find unlikely because I didn't fiddle with it much, or my system has an issue with 9.10.1.

I wish I had a better answer to post, but I'll probably wind up sticking with this version for a while. If I discover anything else I'll post it.

Nick2253

Wizard
Just FYI, there's a post on here from @cyberjock about dealing with the Highpoint cards. One of the things he ran into is that the highpoint cards do not properly report SMART data, so I'm wondering if a drive is failing out from under you, without you knowing it.

If you're so inclined, you may want to shut down FreeNAS, boot off of some tool that can run SMART tests, and manually connect all the drives to the mobo to run long smart tests on them. You might find a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.